Old 200XLT -- Need a little advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I fired up my ancient 200XLT recently (not sure why --- nostalgia probably).

The keypad keys are not responding very well at all. I have to press hard to get them to function. This is true across the board. It HAS been sitting idle for some time.

Also, the L/O key does not function at all. I suspect a dirty keypad - membrane interface.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about opening it up and trying to blow it out. I don't have much to lose as this unit is 20+ years old....

Any other wisdom out there? THanks in advance.

dhd1955

Just dug my 200xlt out a couple weeks ago same problem. Took it apart and cleaned the keypad button backs and also the circuit board with alcohol wipes. Works like new again!

HelixArray

I'd take it apart for the L/O button alone. I had an old marine two-way that was gummed up. Apparently the adhesive from the velcro strips melted under heat and migrated internally somehow. I took some CRC electrical cleaner to the board and buttons with an old tooth brush.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Just dug my 200xlt out a couple weeks ago same problem. Took it apart and cleaned the keypad button backs and also the circuit board with alcohol wipes. Works like new again!

I did the same thing awhile back with an old Pro-43 scanner. Seems like I remember using a pencil eraser to clean the contact areas of the circuit board before cleaning with alcohol.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
well, I do appreciate the input. I will give that a shot. I am NOT an electronics tech, but, I will be careful and try to remember what part goes back in first and where... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.