Old and Outdated Trunked Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
I apologize in advance if this has been brought up before as I didn't spend tons of time searching for a thread on it. I have been working on a report that includes a bunch of statistics on trunked systems. As I was pouring through the database looking for information, I noticed it currently shows some 1600 Motorola systems and 250 some EDACS systems. However if one looks closely a number of those systems don't have any talkgroups listed and haven't been updated in years. It's highly likely that a number of those systems are no longer on the air or were listed in the database based on erroneous information. I even saw a couple instances where frequencies were listed for a new trunked system for the same agency, but the old system still shows as being active. While a lot of focus seems to be on submitting new systems there doesn't seem to be near the interest in submitting information on systems that are no longer in operation. I think there may be some feasibility in starting a campaign for members to check out systems in their area to see if they are still on the air and submitting info on the status of them. For my part I try to submit info on dead systems in my area when they occur but that only solves the issue for a small geographic area. Hopefully at the very least my post will urge others to go dead system hunting as well.

kma371

QRT
Well we rely on members to tell us if systems are dead/not active. If no one tells us, then we don't know :)

Please if you find anything submit it to the DB and it can be updated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also keep in mind that we have several systems in the database that don't have talkgroups because they their trunking protocol can't be monitored (i.e. Open Sky, ProVoice (which can't be monitored by anything right out of the box), MOTOTRBO (same deal), ect.)

And if your process takes the deprecated systems into account, your numbers are going to be significantly screwed in some cases.

The two of those combined is, I suspect, going to reduce the issues by a fair margin, but it certainly won't take into account trunked system listings that haven't been updated in a long time, nor those that haven't submitted talkgroups for a given system. All of these are, as KMA rightly states, the member's responsibility to provide the respective information

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.