old Cleveland Fire radio broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kqa216

My father was a dispatcher with the Cleveland Fire Department from Sept of 1957 to July of 1981. I was looking for any Cleveland Fire broadcasts from that era.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My father was a dispatcher with the Cleveland Fire Department from Sept of 1957 to July of 1981. I was looking for any Cleveland Fire broadcasts from that era.

Recordings from that far back will be tough. Try checking with the Western Reserve fire buff group, or the CFD fire museum, to see if they have any members who might be able to help.

That being said, I fondly remember listening to Cleveland FD (before they went to the dark side) when visiting my parents in Shaker Heights.

I was fortunate enough to be able to tour the old alarm office before they retired the old Gamewell pull box system. Got to tour the the fireboat, too.

KQA216 to the fire department... a box alarm...

And the recorded voice ID: KQA216.... Cleveland, Ohio.

Fun listening.

Last edited:

tswansiger

My father was also a member of the Cleveland FD from Sept. 1955 until January 1985. He was at a number of Engine, H & L, and RS companies during his career. Most have been disbanded. It was exciting to listen to them when they were on 33.9 MHZ.

The Western Reserve Fire Buffs did have a couple of CFD broadcasts on their website including the infamous KQA 216 to the CFD but I've been unable to find them lately. I'll bet once the new museum opens at old Station 28 you'll be able to either hear them, or they'll help you find them. Good luck.

tswansiger

kqa 216, My father joined the Cleveland Fire Department in September 1957, not 1955. I'm sure your father and mine were in the acadamy together and knew each other.

Swipesy

My father was a fireman in Erie Pa from 1939 to 1974. Because of his profession I first got into listening to safety forces (Erie FD) in the early 1950's with a one crystal receiver and ear plug to listen to fire calls. Times sure have changed. I am in awe of the radios we have today when thinking back to my one crystal set with a wire connected to the window latch for an antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.