• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old FCC CB License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear780ks

Big 10-4 Good Buddie

Far Sure Far Sure and 73's all around because the b is east bound and Down Ha Ha was those the memories..:p

Darth_vader

@bear780ks (and others)--

<hijack> "Good budy" can actually be considered offensive these days, since it's become a term used by certain types of people for, umm, well, "prurient" reasons. "Good neighbour" is considered the preferred replacement nowdays.

"Got the ears on, good neighbour? Come back." </hijack>

TheSpaceMan

<hijack> "Good budy" can actually be considered offensive these days, since it's become a term used by certain types of people for, umm, well, "prurient" reasons. "Good neighbour" is considered the preferred replacement nowdays.

"Got the ears on, good neighbour? Come back." </hijack>
Interesting! What is the new term they use for "Mud Duck"?

twobytwo

Around 1973 My first CB was a Hallicrafter with 5 or 6 transmit channels and had a tuner that could monitor all 23 channels using a tv antenna. At the height of my CBing I had a beam antenna & asto plane on a TRC 23 modified with channelsbelow ch 1 and channels above ch 23 .Went through about 5 mobiles because they were always getting stolen,the antenna on my car was some type of dual antenns on the trunk.On Friday and Saturday night we would play a game ,I belive, was called rabbit hunt where a person would go and hide and broadcast things he could see where he was at and everybody would else wouldlook for him. I hope the statue of limitations are up for all the illegal things I done over the air(shooting skip,no license, having illegal channels) my dads call sign was KIV 2466.

Darth_vader

"Interesting! What is the new term they use for 'Mud Duck'?"

Don't know.....although there is a guy somewhere in the Portland area who hangs out on 17 and uses "Mud Duck" as his handle. As far as jargon goes, I have no idea.

KC4KTY

Need help on Finding dad call sign

Hi everyone

I got my start in radio in the mid 1970's when my dad introduced me to CB radio. Now
in either 1975 or 1976. I think my dad received his FCC license for CB radio. I know it
was one of those 2 years.

My dad passed away and I forgot to ask him what his call was. Now I really regret it. As you all can
see it lead up to me getting my FCC license in Ham radio,but I also worked in Broadcast radio also.

I was around the age of 9 years old when this first happened,so it really had an impact on my life.

I later on became an electronic engineer, worked for Raytheon and then Advance technologies
research labs for NASA and ended up retiring from the military. Then I spent a few years working
for a couple of broadcast stations. I would really like to get a copy of my dad FCC license to have
framed. Since the introduction to CB radio really did change my life as you all can see.

I still do Ham radio for the fun of it, and yes I have a CB up just for listening to emergencies
since there is alot of tornandos here where I live. I try to help the local community.

Thanks
Sean

shortride

Premium Subscriber
I still have mine that was issued in 1976. I got my first CB license in 1972 but let them expire.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,731

Senegal1

Greetings,

Filed FOI request and FCC said they don't keep those files since a CB license is not required, and because it took less then two hours to check, they won't charge me this time!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

O yes the good old days,10-4 back door........
KABS-0403

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I still have mine that was issued in 1976. I got my first CB license in 1972 but let them expire.

OT, but...that was old Alief. You wouldn't recognize it now.

And to stay on-topic I was KWC9895.

Bruce42

I wish I could find my old license. It was 12W1224, being before the CCITT complained that the FCC was not following international call sign assignment procedure. The next one was KFC4438 which conformed with international law. My first base station was a 1W kit build and I was able to talk from California to Massechussetts with that one. My first mobile radio was a custom built one by 12W0382 [Frank B. Fitzgerald] with 23 channels and selective calling built in. It was vacuum tube with a transistor DC-to-DC converter to generate the B+ from my truck's 12 VDC. The truck had been converted from 6VDC so I could install radio gear. I talked all over the country with that mobile but finally got a Lafayette solid state unit which was much smaller and had less battery drain. I forced my junior college to buy radios for their surveying class because I didn't like all the arm waving and brought my own CB portables. My group finished our assignments twice as fast as the rest of the student groups with better results. Next year the college provided radios to all groups. Heh-heh, progress is wonderful. My local volunteer fire department pulled me in off the street and asked me to help them install Heathkits ["Benton Harbor lunch boxes"] in their fire trucks. I chose channel 1 for their operation so they only had to turn the tuning knob to the left stop to be on their channel. In the course of that I became a volunteer firefighter. However, as CB degraded in clientel I went on and got my ham license. It was a fun ride......

Bruce...

lep

I wish I could find my old license. It was 12W1224, being before the CCITT complained that the FCC was not following international call sign assignment procedure.
Bruce...

Hmmm, it should have been CCIR, not CCITT. CCITT is now ITU-T and CCIR is now ITU-R. Call sign assignment procedures are in the Radio Regulations which are maintained by ITU-R, previously known as CCIR.

Ah yes, in those days my own CB call was 8W0563.

bear780ks

Little to Late for the License

For me i was to young when the FCC Handed out the CB License's and then eventually Dropped them) My Dad, My older Brother And my Uncle which was also a Ham, all had the License I think i seen my Dad's once after that it got filed No.13 the Culprit Mom she said it's time for this Old Junk to Go.! :(

But I started Talking on my Dads Midland 23 in 80 or 81 through years i stepped up my Equipment) I talked too allot of the Local Guys in the Area, Truck Drivers that came through Town, And Occasionally I would talk to one of the S.O. Deputies or KHP's that had CB's in there Cars they'd talk till they had to stop some one and they'd say Got to go little Buddy time to get the Bandit :p then they might come back on talk for a while longer or if they had to take the person to Jail they'd say there off to the CJ..

Although I continued talking on my Radio for many years With the Local CBers, some of them being Ham operators as well and the Truck Drivers till i sold my Equipment). The time i talked to the Sheriffs and KHP officers were short Lived as there Departments Pulled the CB's because of the Room i was once Told. There were a couple Deputies that put there Own Radios in there Cars they were assigned to but they hardly used them Only to give the Truck Drivers directions..

At the time I sold my Equipment allot of the guys that i talked to were Switching to Ham because of all the Noise on CB and they Tried getting me to move over to Ham but i was burned out of the Notion, And at that time i didn't have the funds to get into it.. So i just moved away from it..

But I still like the Scanning Hobby and I'v thought of getting my Ham Licence.. Maybe yet in the Future.. :) Ra

Last edited:

washburn830

KBLI1248 "TheBronze" had Simi Valley CA covered with my RS Navaho base station and a 5/8 wave mounted on the roof. Channel 12 was for the adults and 23 for the teens. T-hunts on channel 5. Ahh, the memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.