• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old FCC CB License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
KCP6647 HERE

Courier Royale
Antenna was a super scanner .

jay_camaro1

Premium Subscriber
some are getting back into it now that we are older and have kids and good jobs, i picked up some garage sale cb's and hooked them up to talk with my kids on. at first it was just to mess around. now after a few months and 2 new radios/ antenna's, im having a blast talking skip on side band on the weekends, the kids even get into it when i make a new contact thousands of miles away with just a radio and 102" whip antenna mounted on the peak of my house.

central WI 544

TheSpaceMan

Getting into CB

some are getting back into it now that we are older and have kids and good jobs, i picked up some garage sale cb's and hooked them up to talk with my kids on. at first it was just to mess around. now after a few months and 2 new radios/ antenna's, im having a blast talking skip on side band on the weekends, the kids even get into it when i make a new contact thousands of miles away with just a radio and 102" whip antenna mounted on the peak of my house.

central WI 544
If they would just once again make Walkie Talkies for 11 Meters like they did back in the day, more and more kids would be getting interested in the CB band. I have not seen a new CB walkie talkie in years.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
KKT-1779...I too used to use a 102" whip at the apex of the roofline! Man we could talk well over 50 miles at night! Five channel radio that I traded a guy a box of grapefruit and 20 bucks for!

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Dup

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Heh! Only a few people here with the numeric nQnnnn license. Here 2Q3671 -> KOG2427. FCC was caught using an unauthorized ITU prefix and couldn't renew the Q licenses. Still have both licenses, in mint condition. In 1960, the days of driving my '53 Ford, an EICO radio, to/from St. Louis via US 40 at night... could be heard 40 miles away... some 50+ CBers met me for a 4 am breakfast outside Zanesville... ah, the memories. I started writing for S9 in 1966.

w2xq

Mentor

Dup

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor

Dup

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor

Dup... confuzzled router and internet.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMan

Old Calls

Heh! Only a few people here with the numeric nQnnnn license. Here 2Q3671 -> KOG2427. FCC was caught using an unauthorized ITU prefix and couldn't renew the Q licenses. Still have both licenses, in mint condition. In 1960, the days of driving my '53 Ford, an EICO radio, to/from St. Louis via US 40 at night... could be heard 40 miles away... some 50+ CBers met me for a 4 am breakfast outside Zanesville... ah, the memories. I started writing for S9 in 1966.
Remember lots of KBIs, KKDs, KMDs and KODs in the Bronx in the late '60s! Back then there were loads of CBers within just a few blocks of each other. They would all meet up at Tony's Pizzeria on Williamsbrige Road. Tony actually had a CB radio with a D-104 set up in the back room of the pizza shop, and a Super Magnum on the roof!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Just ran across this thread again and read the whole thing. In Canada, the late 70's, my Dad was XM62-2753. I used to talk to him on the way to work and back. He had a mobile on a power supply in the house with a ground plane on a 30 foot tower. He used a 5 element yagi for a bit but took it down when the neighbours complained about the TV going berserk when he transmitted.

I used to do quite a bit of skip on sideband and actually contacted Australia once. Talked into the US many times.

Last summer on holidays I dug through some of his old boxes (he passed on 10 years ago now) and found some old QSL cards. The Maritimer was his handle, we lived in New Brunswick.

Not 100% sure on that call-sign, just going by memory right now but will have to dig up those cards and post a pic.

CQ-CQ-CQDX

Attachments

• IMAG0421 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0421 (800x450).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 892
  • IMAG0422 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0422 (800x450).jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,117
Last edited:

markbart

Found at an auction last summer a D-104 kind of ratty looking but looks like it was wired for P.A. work.Bought it for the memories.I'll post a pic when I can.

Mark

Call Sign

KDL-2694 Early 70's

What kid didn't go through at least one pair of "Space Patrol" walkie talkies?

Between those and my "Secret Sam" attache case with built-in camera, we handled all of the intelligence gathering for a 3 block area.The kids in the neighborhood had CB's built into a wood box with a strap on our bikes - slung over our "Sissy Bar" - powered by 2 - 6 Volt Batteries with a right angle whip on the back of the radio. Pretty ingenious, if I say so myself.

Fast forward to the Base Station. Cobra CAM 88 with a Turner Mike then a D-104. A Super Magnum AND a 3-Element Beam on a 20-foot section of tower that W1AW - a few blocks away - was throwing away. Match Box, SWL meter and antenna switch for "local" and "long-distance." Dad had a 3-channel Lafayette in the car and worked in Real Estate, so when a call came in, I could make a "phone patch" to his car using a suction cup on the phone handset. Smart Kid! I also built a Vox-Box for hands free operation of the mike and a foot switch to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome. Remember Channel 22A?

Ahhhh Love by the dashboard lights. I lost my virginity to "Peeper". Or was it the other way around? A group of us used Channel 2 - and back then, we were the only 5 or 10 people who shared that channel - Nobody really knew about CB. We could leave the radio on and just page each other. Everyone knew where everyone else was. It was like Twitter! "Anyone heard from Bones?" "Yeah, he's at football practice." When I got a car - I put an external speaker under the hood so I didn't miss a call. Channel 5 was Hartford people and Channel 12 was New Britain people. Like "rooms" in a chat program.

"Coffee Breaks" every Friday night at Augie and Ray's. As soon as Smokey & The Bandit came out, it went down hill, in my opinion. Too much noise. It had been a well-kept "secret society".

Ahhh Teddy Bear, Stardust...Can I give you a landline?..... Yut Yut Yut Those were the days....

I'll be on the side.

Techy

Mine was KBSK-5772. First CB was a 23 chan. Sears CB lol. Ran it off a model train power pack, with a RS back of set antenna. I was always told "6-Pack you have a hum going on there!" I was like Hum? lol. Never knew about regulated power supplies then. Then I learned quick what it was all about. Bought a Radio Shack TRC-490 Navajo SSB 40 chan base with Radio Shack's good old ground planes which was a half wave. RG-8 coax and man I was happy cause of the distance it got. Met many of great people out there. Had coffee breaks, helped with REACT functions. Then I learned to wire mic's and had many of people pay me to put ends on. Made a few bucks doing that and I perfected my soldering skills lol. But those were the days. I sold it all and got away from it once the kids started cussing and keying up on our fave channels. And many just seemed to disappear. :(

NYRHKY94

It's nice to see this thread I started in 2008 still has life (and almost 20,000 views). I remain "bummed out" that I don't have my old license, but it is heartwarming to see how many of us here miss the good old days of CB.

KFN8417 (1973) on the side

Last edited:

TheSpaceMan

Memories

It's nice to see this thread I started in 2008 still has life (and almost 20,000 views). I remain "bummed out" that I don't have my old license, but it is heartwarming to see how many of us here miss the good old days of CB.

KFN8417 (1973) on the side
I remember that form! Ya want memories? Go to: CBRadioMagazine.com and click on their live streaming. I wish every channel was still as active as that one!

k8krh

I remember my call KXJ1927, lot of fun as a kid, think my dad paid for the license, talked to our buddies around town with a kit I built, it ran around 3 watts and the receiver was a regen so you couldn't miss anyone everybody came in , then I graduated to a GONSET 5 channel, those were the days...fun..., and my license who knows where it went...
DOCTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.