• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old FCC CB License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

BCflash:

If you can find yours and take a picture of it to upload here for the rest of us to look at, that would be really great! If I recall, it was a one-pager? I'm pretty sure my call sign was KFN-8417, but wanted to get a copy to bring the old memories back. When I got the license in 1974?, all I had was the old 5-channel handheld that RS sold. It came loaded with 1 channel 14 crystal ;-)

P.S. I still haven't heard back from the FCC yet on my e-mail request.

57Bill

I not only saved mine, but I have my original "certificate" for "monitoring station" as issued by Popular Electronics magazine, circa 1962! I was "assigned" WPE8CTY "because I was located in Ohio and Ohio was in 8-land. Anyone remember these?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I had the TRC-56 bolted to the headliner in my old 1976 Ford F100 4x4! Looked rather cool driving down the road looking like you were talking on a telephone!

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Funny thing is I think 1974 is the year I sent my $20 into the FCC for my CB license!"

You got ripped, KMD-7606 cost $5 in June 1965 and each 5 year renewal still cost $5 until the requirement was dropped and I dropped CB with all the madness.

"Hey Warren, bet ya don't remember who KOD-3827 was."

If you're talking to me no, by the time KOD came around we were using only first names and handles, Roger Nye the FCC guy was kicked up to a desk in Baltimore and out of our hair. His replacement had little time for CB and no personal vendetta so he only investigated valid complaints with the emphasis on valid.

For what it's worth our Fulminator's name was Joe AKA Blue Knight pronounced "ka-niggit" by his friends. Take gas, bababababaaaah!

"I not only saved mine, but I have my original "certificate" for "monitoring station" as issued by Popular Electronics magazine, circa 1962!"

I was WPE2MTN, had a QSL card and was a member of the NNRC, the Newark (NJ) News Radio Club. Small world, isn't it?

Last edited:

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
Just dug mine out of a dusty folder in my filing cabinet.

Good ol' FCC Form 555. Effective 1979, good for 5 years.
# transmitters allowed was 25. (My dad was allowed 5 on his 1977 license.)

On the back of the license was a 'WARNING' with a list of 11 rules. Number 10
was 'Do not transmit unless there is a definite need in a situation which requires
the use of radio'. Yeah right.

My puppy love at 16 was 'Creampuff' on channel 3 and if there was ever a definite need
which required the use of radio in the middle of the night, that was it.

10-4 de KBMZ 3729.

BTW, if Smokey And The Bandit is part of your fond CB days, you may wanna check out
http://atlantatimemachine.com/smokey/poster.htm which looks at the filming sites
then and now to see how they've changed. It's sad to see what happened to the fairgrounds, but Sally Field
looks great in those jeans!!

w0fg

57Bill said:
I not only saved mine, but I have my original "certificate" for "monitoring station" as issued by Popular Electronics magazine, circa 1962! I was "assigned" WPE8CTY "because I was located in Ohio and Ohio was in 8-land. Anyone remember these?

Yep. I don't think I saved mine, but as I recall it was WPE0DJP, also ca. 1962. Novice ham license, WN0FYG came next in March of 1963. Picked up a CB license in 1965 between my freshman and sophmore years in college. It was KNH8207. My boss was KGI4997.

Big_Ears

Geez, somethings you never forget.

I remember all the hetrodyne when the sunspot activity was peaking.

A friend of mine dug up a copy of the "Convoy" song? 10-4 Rubber Ducky?

KPA1143 (Ch 21)

elk2370bruce

KBG3875 was my assigned call way back in 1961 (I think). My first rig was a 20 channel AM Lafayette that I got at the Lafayette Radio Store in Route 17 in Paramus, NJ. Had the stainless steel 102" whip, on the spring mount with a hole drilled in the bumper of the old 51 Buick.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
Big_Ears said:
I remember all the hetrodyne when the sunspot activity was peaking.
S9+ skip on every channel. You were lucky to talk much beyond 1/2 mile.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmm, you guys bring back memories.

"Sally Field looks great in those jeans!!"

Pant pant!

"10-4 Rubber Ducky?"

"Rubber ducky you're so fine
Rubber ducky you're all mine
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fond of you."
Kermit T. Frog

"My first rig was a 20 channel AM Lafayette that I got at the Lafayette Radio Store in Route 17 in Paramus, NJ."

Uh uh, no such animal, it was 23 channel HE or HB23 maybe?

"S9+ skip on every channel. You were lucky to talk much beyond 1/2 mile."

Besides "shootin' skip" there is a certain irony when you live in the foothills. Early in the evening I could barely talk to the guy across town but things change around 3:00am. I would often get complaints about stepping on mobiles near their bases 50 miles away but hey guy, at 6:00 you're not even a bump in the noise level here.

"My puppy love at 16 was 'Creampuff' on channel 3 and if there was ever a definite need which required the use of radio in the middle of the night, that was it."

Well 77, (yawn) I can't remember all of them, staying up late was worth it but I got better action during the day. Oh you know, when the cat's away the kitties will play. Lemme see, either you're from the NY area or you listened to 77 at night, Cousin "EeeeEEEeee" Gruesome?

My claim to fame (if you can call it that) was 17 year old "Bonny" from High Bridge NJ. After one date a red flag went up, this chick is TROUBLE with a capital T! Her name was Lebonny Bakley and she had them drooling, after that date I just sat back and laughed at them. I'm sure you know her, when she grew up and got fat hubby just happened to be Robert Blake. Ding dong the bell rings but you know her as Bonny Lee Bakley, that bullet she begged for so long ago finally caught up to her.

Just an old picture hanging around to remind me that looks can be deceiving.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

kb2vxa said:
You got ripped, KMD-7606 cost $5 in June 1965 and each 5 year renewal still cost $5 until the requirement was dropped and I dropped CB with all the madness.

I think you're pulling our chains Warren.

When my dad filed for the license in '72 (licensed for 5 units) he had to pay $20. After he became an SK, I talked my mom into renewing in '77 (license came back for 10 units) still needed to write a check for $20. When 5 years later I could put it in my name I think it was a bit cheaper, either $5 or $10 (licensed for 25 units!). Shortly after that, the FCC was granting refunds that needed to be filed for. If I remember correctly I recieved a refund check for $17.

KMD in '65? Uncle Charlie must have done some recycling. Our call was KES-3940, issued the spring of '72.

When I finished HS and got a job I bought a RS TRC-451 AM/SSB rig. As the AM'ers had long become childish, most of the good CB ops were on SSB. No "handles", no 10 codes (used the "Q" signals), no CB slang. Talk about another world! Things were nice. Other than occaisionally informing people of the gentlemans' agreement of the AM and SSB channels (locally 15-18 and 35-40 were reserved for SSB)and the skippers shouting CQ during the solar cycle highs, operating on CB SSB during the mid 80's was great.

KF4ZTO

According to the folded up piece of paper that came with my Galaxy 949 I got a few years back, that rule is still in effect...the FCC "encourages" it as one of the ways to identify your station.

elk2370bruce

While looking around for the old CB license, I found my old 3rd class radiotelephone ticket (good for life) FROM 1959. 2J6342. Got it so I could be a restricted-push to talk RACES operator before I got my Novice ticket.

57Bill

Warren is correct about the $5 fee up until the mid-seventies when the fee jumped to $20. Later, the FCC refunded the fees, as stated in a previous post.
Getting back to Popular Electronics' "monitoring station certificates", Electronics Illustrated magazine introduced the "DX Club" certificate, which they issued to SWL's showing "proof" that they received radio transmissions from "x" number of countries (10 country minimum). That was in 1963. Anyone have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.