• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old Frequencies being sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobsmith

I forget but somewhere I remember about a statewide digital system... the counties were given a discount or something of that effect for giving up their old frequencies to be used on the state-wide system... is this correct? or did I misunderstand it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It has been done. Frequency coordination and licensing can be expensive. Nextel did this back in the 1990's by buying up smaller local providers and switching the systems to IDEN. Some city, county, state systems have done this also.

I forget but somewhere I remember about a statewide digital system... the counties were given a discount or something of that effect for giving up their old frequencies to be used on the state-wide system... is this correct? or did I misunderstand it?
I'd be fascinated to know how you do this in Australia. I can tell you that in the US, there has been a shift toward radio spectrum being similar to real estate. It has material value to those who need the spectrum. We can lease frequencies here, and often do. Our FCC has a category to display leases. A business licensee may lease to a public safety entity, but a public safety entity cannot lease.

Public safety applicants who seek licenses in our "NPSPAC" (National Public Safety Planning Advisory Committee) spectrum which lies in 700 MHz and part of 800 MHz often have to agree to "give back" their lower-frequency licenses in order to get the NPSPAC channels. The Regional Planning Committees ("RPCs") have no authority to compel the applicants to cancel those licenses, however. It's the honor system (as if...). This does not apply to 800 MHz general pool or "vacated spectrum" (frequencies vacated by Sprint/NEXTEL) channels. Applicants have no "give back" requirements there. This also does not apply to lower frequencies. These entities can only give up their frequencies, they cannot "sell" them.

We are undergoing a mandatory halving of occupied bandwidth here to allow for operation on interstitial channels in VHF and UHF spectrum. More recently, we've seen this give back bargain made in waiver requests to the FCC which seeks a delay in narrowbanding because of the implementation of a higher-frequency radio system, and the promise (the "public interest" part) that in exchange for the delay, the applicant will terminate operations on most of those frequencies once the new system is enacted. We see that in the series of granted waivers in the 8 counties (actually 7 counties and the independent City of St. Louis, which under Missouri law is not in a county) of the St. Louis region.

So, tell me about how you do this Down Under.

Status
Not open for further replies.