• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

old Motorola Radius P1225 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm991

So I can get a pair of old Motorola Radius P1225's
was wondering would I be able to use my scanner to find out what channels they are programed to and then program my wouxun to talk to them?

Also how are they on range??

thanks

SD70MAC

p1225

So I can get a pair of old Motorola Radius P1225's
was wondering would I be able to use my scanner to find out what channels they are programed to and then program my wouxun to talk to them?

Also how are they on range??

thanks

First I would be careful transmiting on because they may have Fire/EMS/Police or business frequencies that you must have a license to use. You could get in BIG BIG trouble fast transmiting on someone's channel. Other than that the P1225 is a fine basic radio. Are they VHF or UHF ?

mformby

As a retired Motorola Dealer/Agent/Manufacture's Rep I sold hundreds of the P1225 and can honestly say it is a great radio. Tuff as nails and great specs for the Radius line. I assume they are VHF, which makes them 5 watts so they will have 5 watt VHF range.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
You either need to read it with the programming software or connect it too a servive monitor to see what channels are programmed into it. If you know the band split you could use a scanner and transmit while searching and find them that way. Close call Uniden would be nice as it will find it fast so you don't have to transmit very long.

I still have one laying around that works good. It was my 1st Motorola radio so I'll hang onto it. Mine is a 450-470 split 2 channel unit. I only wish I knew about the out of band hack before I hit it with the newer software that kills that little tweak.

SCPD

QRT
Shifty fingering

... I only wish I knew about the out of band hack before I hit it with the newer software that kills that little tweak.

Are you talking about the "hold the shift key" trick to get a 450-470 down into the ham bands?
That's still working for me with version 4.0. Or is it something else?

bezking

I think that the shift trick applies only to the old DOS software, not the newer Windows-based CPS products...

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Are you talking about the "hold the shift key" trick to get a 450-470 down into the ham bands?
That's still working for me with version 4.0. Or is it something else?

Yeah that's the one. I'm running version 3.something, can't remember at the moment. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, I''ll try it again sometime.

SCPD

QRT
works for me

I think that the shift trick applies only to the old DOS software, not the newer Windows-based CPS products...

I have done the shift trick on both VHF and UHF P1225's, using Version 4.0 of HVN9054
on a computer running Windows 2000 Version 5.0. (Build 2195:Service Pack 3).

ankh

How do you tell a VHF from a UHF model?
In ebay listings for example, not always stated.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
How do you tell a VHF from a UHF model?
In ebay listings for example, not always stated.
Contact the seller and insist that he provide the model number. If he won't, don't bid or buy the item.

Since your post was kind of short, I don't know for sure what type of radio you are asking about. But, model number charts for almost any Motorola legacy radio are easily found with an internet search. Many of them are referenced right here in previous threads on RR.

You can also find many model number charts on either batlabs or repeater builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.