• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

old motorola rss programming guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndoesefi

Motorola old rss programming guide (step by step)
Preview

Hello.my name is eitan. and for many years I was trying to program an old motrorola
Radios like(ht1000,mtx838,maxtrac,ext…)
After watching a lot of videos and visit a lots of forums, I got to the right place.
Meaning….(the radioreference.com)
I was trying every possible way(I thought)with no success instead of doing it the
wright way.
Today I will guide you how to do it the wright way.

1.you need to make sure that you have a rib box, and the cable that go to your com port at the back of your computer(9 pin cable),and the correct cable for your radio that goes to the Other side of your rib box.

2.you need to create a boot disk. The best way to do it, is to have an empty usb flash drive/cd that have no files at all.if you are using a usb flash drive,make a back up for the files you need, then erase it.
Then Google RUFUS. And follow the instructions. You will get a bootable driver.
After that, copy all the files and rss software that you want to run to your usb boot disk you created.

3.when this is done, connect your boot disk to your pc and restart your computer.
When you restart, you will have to change the startup boot bios that your usb drive will upload first.

***THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS.DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE STARTUP BIOS BACK WHEN YOU ARE DONE PROGRAMMING*****

Then restart your computer again, and you get to the REAL DOS machine.
If you forget the commands of dos, here some few…
Dir------ as a directory. You get all your files before you.
Cd -------- as a create directory.
For example…cd mtsx/cd ht 1000 ext……
F3------automaticly write you your last command
In the end, write down your operation file.(exe,bat,com)
Fore example…
C:\>cd ht 1000
C:\>ht1000\ht1000.exe

4.turn your radio and rib box power on.

5.in the rss, first press F9-SETUP configuration.
Make a COM test.
If successfull,go to GET/SAVE/CLONE/ ext…..
Then press F2 to read the radio.

*******FOR NOW ON YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. GOOD LUCK*****
FOR MORE HELP,VISIT THE RADIOREFERNCE.COM
THEY ARE THE BEST

SPECIAL THANK FOR THE RADIOREFERENCE.com

Last edited:

Rred

Eitan-
I haven't forgotten all of DOS.
"cd\" means CHANGE directory. There is no "create directory" command. You are thinking of
"md\" which is the command to MAKE DIRECTORY.

Such a shame that Moto doesn't simply place their orphaned software in the public domain, to allow individuals to obtain and use it legally. I don't think they'd lose any sales from that, most of us are not about to drop a grand on a new model anyway. Most of the dealers, who can still support the radios, would probably rather get rid of the old DOS boxes they need to offer that.

johndoesefi

i agree.it took me at least 2 years how to upload the rss from the real dos machine.finding the rss software was easy.the problem is that if you don't know exactly what you are doing,there are alot of room for mistakes,and every little mistake that you do,and it is not gonna work.even if you have the correct cables and the correct software.you have to upload it from dos.not by windows,dosbox,and stuff.
and speaking which of the dos.....i might forgot some things about it.20 years ago.....go back and remember....

Last edited:

n5ims

Something else to remember about DOS is you need to keep any hard disk partitions you access while in DOS very small. If I remember correctly, about 30 MB (that's MEGA bytes) is about the maximum size partitions that DOS can access. This is because DOS is only a 16 bit OS so the addressing is limited to what can be held in a 16 bit integer (well, technically a 16 bit long integer). I believe that you can go up to around 4 GB if it's formatted as FAT32 and your version of DOS supports it (the newer ones like 6.0 will, the old ones like 3.x won't).

RAM is similarly limited, but this is often handled through the BIOS so anything larger is simply ignored.

jim202

Something else to remember about DOS is you need to keep any hard disk partitions you access while in DOS very small. If I remember correctly, about 30 MB (that's MEGA bytes) is about the maximum size partitions that DOS can access. This is because DOS is only a 16 bit OS so the addressing is limited to what can be held in a 16 bit integer (well, technically a 16 bit long integer). I believe that you can go up to around 4 GB if it's formatted as FAT32 and your version of DOS supports it (the newer ones like 6.0 will, the old ones like 3.x won't).

RAM is similarly limited, but this is often handled through the BIOS so anything larger is simply ignored.

Part of the restriction is what version of DOS your using. I like to use 6.2 which will allow be to use 20 GB of a partition for DOS with no problems. I generally use an 80 GB hard drive. set 20 GB aside for DOS and load Windows XP in the remaining area partition. This way I have Windows to be able to move files around using the Ethernet connections between my many computers. It also provides for some backup storage if I for some reason loose the 80 GB hard drive that is formatted in FAT-32.

I have collected a number of 80 GB hard drives over the years and cherish them just for the DOS programming computers I own. The extra ones I keep in a bin for future use.

It pays to visit the older computer repair shops. Many of them will give you the old computers they may have laying around, just for the act of carting them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.