old newbie wanting to get back into scanning after 28 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojosee

hi
i live in the city of knoxville,tn and after 28 yrs away from listening to police,fire and others in scanning,things have sure changed,my old radio shack scanners aren,t of much use anymore,by what little i have been reading the knoxville area has change a hole lot.i need help,i want to buy a new scanner and get back into the hobby,i have time now, i,ve heard the city of knoxville requires a digital scanner,then i have heard it doesn,t not its analog.i am trying to learn as much as i can,thank goodness i found this site its awesome.if anybody can give me some good advice and help on what i need,i would be greatly thankful.thank you harold

click23

Premium Subscriber
Right now Knoxville and Knox county do not need a digital scanner, just one that is able to trunk track. I believe it is only time before they join the Tennessee Valley Regional Telecommunications System. If they do you will need a digital scanner, not one of the first generations ones but one that can trunk in the 700mhz band.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
With the great reception I get with different brands and models of radios, I hope this area never goes digital.

I think our biggest enemy may be the laptops in the cruisers. "I sent it to your screen" from a dispatcher is a common transmission.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Mojo!

Mojo-Harold
Scanning has changed a LOT in 28 years ago but don't worry! Scanning these days requires a decent knowledge of computers, but you are computer savy enough to have found Radio Reference and there are many people here who will help you along. I was in the same boat as you a few years ago but am now at the same level of enjoyment I was "way back when" (about 20-years-ago) thanks to the members here.
Be prepared to enjoy the satisfaction of learning new things with new friends who will help.

jfhtm350

Knoxville requires a scanner that is able to trunk track. Knoxville/Knox County Public Safety Trunking System, Knoxville, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies.
If you want to listen to the park rangers in the smokie mountains (you can pick them up in knoxville) or twra you will have to have a digital scanner.
I suggest, if you find a scanner that you want to buy, download the manual for it and read it before you buy it because things are not what they where 28 yrs ago and you will probably be overwhelmed by what you see, but if you read and try to understand then you will probably not have a problem.

mojosee

thanks to my new friends at radio reference

to everyone,thank you for the advice,i was really confused on what to buy,i,ve got a good start on what to look at and good advice info on reading before,i buy to understand,what will be my some of my best choices.keep the advice coming,i,ve got alot to learn.i know one good choice i have already made and thats becoming a part of radio reference,theres alot of good people on here.thanks harold

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
check ebay from time to time for the Pro-106 digital scanner. I lucked up and purchased one in great condition for $200.00. You never know!

mdgjedde

With the great reception I get with different brands and models of radios, I hope this area never goes digital.

I think our biggest enemy may be the laptops in the cruisers. "I sent it to your screen" from a dispatcher is a common transmission.

True...this can go either way. Sometimes they'll switch to another system, or sometimes this means they've got a system in place for confidential or sensitive calls that eliminates the need to go scrambled.

Status
Not open for further replies.