• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old Nextel PTT Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Not really sure where to put this, so I'm dropping it in here. I have a bin of these old phones (useless for cellular but awesome for simplex digital 2-way, via direct-connect)

My question: Are there any mobile radios that may put out more power to use as a simplex repeater or at least just a base station at say, a campsite?

These things are so cheap, as being basically obsolete, that I'd love to start a project for the summer.

Thanks!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You are not allowed to use more power on the ISM band. You are limited to 30 dBm, which is around 1w. There are repeaters, but they are also limited to 1w, are pretty expensive (~$1500), and only work with the Motorola DTR radios. They are not compatible with the Direct Connect.

n1das

The off network PTT simplex mode is Direct Talk, not to be confused with Direct Connect which used the NEXTEL iDEN network. NEXTEL is long gone but these phones can be used in Direct Talk (DT) mode. One gotcha with them is they must have a SIM card that was previously activated on NEXTEL or another iDEN network in order to enter DT mode. This is required because the DT protocol uses 1 plus the area code and phone number that was assigned to the phone to form the 11 digit Private ID used by the DT system. These phones will not enter DT mode without a SIM card that was previously activated on a NEXTEL or other iDEN network.

The DT feature is known generically as MOTOTALK.

The DTR410/550/650 radios, DLR1020/1060 radios, and the new DTR600/700 radios are the modern day implementation of the old MOTOTALK platform. The DTRs and DLRs were coded differently (supposedly on purpose) to be incompatible with the DT feature in NEXTEL phones but they use the same digital FHSS system. The DTRs and DLRs were spinoffs from the the off network DT feature in NEXTEL phones. I suspect the DTRs and DLRs became incompatible with the DT feature in NEXTEL phones when more features were added.

If your bin of old DT-capable NEXTEL phones have SIM cards in them, then you probably can get them working with each other in DT mode. My wife (g/f at the time) and I have owned i355 NEXTEL phones and we used them in DT mode and they worked great. The i355 is a good one to use. Factory fresh new batteries are still available for the i355 because the legacy DTR410/550/650 models use the same hi-capacity battery. I own a small fleet of DTR650 radios and I re-batteried them with factory fresh new batteries a couple of years ago so I know you can still get new batteries for them.

OpenCarrier

Hey what about old Verizon VX8300s?? I have two of these can they be done in a similar fashon?? They make good emergency 911 only phones but still i'd hate to waste em...

rescuecomm

I have three Nextel I355's that are getting a little old. They still work just fine. Since I use prepaid cellphones that don't worry in the Caribbean, I use Direct Talk on cruises.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any I365 Nextels in the box?

I do. I have about 3 or 4 of them. Also a handful of i576 and i335. Probably about 15 in all. They all perform great. Around town I get around a mile, in the open up to 3 miles. Group talk on ski mountains is really a life saver with large groups where cell service is always a challenge.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
The off network PTT simplex mode is Direct Talk, not to be confused with Direct Connect which used the NEXTEL iDEN network. NEXTEL is long gone but these phones can be used in Direct Talk (DT) mode. One gotcha with them is they must have a SIM card that was previously activated on NEXTEL or another iDEN network in order to enter DT mode. This is required because the DT protocol uses 1 plus the area code and phone number that was assigned to the phone to form the 11 digit Private ID used by the DT system. These phones will not enter DT mode without a SIM card that was previously activated on a NEXTEL or other iDEN network.

The DT feature is known generically as MOTOTALK.

The DTR410/550/650 radios, DLR1020/1060 radios, and the new DTR600/700 radios are the modern day implementation of the old MOTOTALK platform. The DTRs and DLRs were coded differently (supposedly on purpose) to be incompatible with the DT feature in NEXTEL phones but they use the same digital FHSS system. The DTRs and DLRs were spinoffs from the the off network DT feature in NEXTEL phones. I suspect the DTRs and DLRs became incompatible with the DT feature in NEXTEL phones when more features were added.

If your bin of old DT-capable NEXTEL phones have SIM cards in them, then you probably can get them working with each other in DT mode. My wife (g/f at the time) and I have owned i355 NEXTEL phones and we used them in DT mode and they worked great. The i355 is a good one to use. Factory fresh new batteries are still available for the i355 because the legacy DTR410/550/650 models use the same hi-capacity battery. I own a small fleet of DTR650 radios and I re-batteried them with factory fresh new batteries a couple of years ago so I know you can still get new batteries for them.

Thanks for the very informative breakdown of these radios for the audience! I mispoke by saying Direct Connect (was thinking back to when my telecom company used the actual Nextel network around our work sites, and NYC metro area, 20+ years ago!)

Yes, you'll need a sim card, but you can get them on ebay in bulk for pennies). They need to be Nextel, Boost Mobile or Sprint)

You can set them up as individual ID's, where you can talk one-to one and also setup groups as a broadcast to all units.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Great info for compatible phones:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have a few i560 phones and my old cradle that had an amp, speaker, hand mic and wiring for external antenna. I think it boosted the power to 3 Watts, but not sure if it boosted the Direct Talk band. I know I used it on Direct Talk while it was in the cradle and it worked good.

n1das

I've got a bunch of i355s that my family and I have used in the past. They always worked great for us.

The biggest problem I had was finding new batteries.

The i355 uses the same battery as the legacy DTR410/550/650 models of the DTR series. I recently re-batteried my DTR650 fleet with factory fresh new batteries. The legacy DTRs went EOL on November 30, 2018. Motorola support for the legacy DTRs ends on November 30, 2023. I expect batteries for the legacy DTRs (and iDEN phones using the same batteries) will start to become hard to find after 2023.

The battery I used is an aftermarket battery, 2000mAh and made by Artisan Power. This is higher capacity than the OEM high cap battery. $29 on Amazon.

Don't worry, factory fresh new batteries are still available for the i355.

Last edited:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
The i355 uses the same battery as the legacy DTR410/550/650 models of the DTR series. I recently re-batteried my DTR650 fleet with factory fresh new batteries. The legacy DTRs went EOL on November 30, 2018. Motorola support for the legacy DTRs ends on November 30, 2023. I expect batteries for the legacy DTRs and iDEN phones using the same batteries will start to become hard to find after 2023.

Thanks! The last time I had checked, I could only find used batteries of questionable age. I need to start buying new batteries each month.

Warren

n1das

Would LOVE to have a base or mobile to work with these. Even if only 1W. All about that antenna!

At some point, you may want to consider upgrading to the DTR and/or the DLR series radios. I know the attraction to the Direct Talk capable iDEN phones is they are so dirt cheap to buy and people have boxes of them laying around. They are getting old and support for them ended long ago so it might be good to have an upgrade plan for the future.

The DTRs and the DLRs were a spinoff from the Direct Talk feature in iDEN phones and use the same 900MHz FHSS system (MOTOTALK platform). The DTRs differ only in software from the DT feature, supposedly done on purpose. I suspect the DTRs became incompatible with the DT feature in iDEN phones when DTR specific features were added to the DTRs. The DTRs and DLRs are the modern day implementation of the MOTOTALK platform. The DTRs and DLRs support private group calling in addition to private 1 to 1 calling. In DT capable iDEN phones, the only way to talk securely is with private 1 to 1 calling. The DTRs and DLRs give you more options for talking securely.

There is a repeater available for the DTRs and DLRs. It is based on a pair of DLR radios with custom firmware and connected together to function as a repeater. It differs from a conventional repeater in that transmit power is still limited to +30 dBm (1W) and has to be carefully located for best performance. The intended application is to extend coverage areas inside a large building and/or to fill in holes in coverage areas. The repeater has to be placed where the existing coverage area and the desired coverage area(s) overlap. I can see this being used inside a large high rise hotel or office building. It is not something you would normally stick on top of a mountain somewhere like with a conventional repeater, but it might be cool to try.

There is a desktop base radio available for the DLRs and DTRs. It is based on a DLR radio, so no external antenna connection is available. It's a bit pricey for what it is but I can see it being useful because of the convenience.

The only DTR models with a usable external antenna connection are the DTR550 and DTR650. These radios have a recessed male SMA connector. The 3" 1/4 wave and 6 5/8" 1/2 wave antennas available for them are the same antennas used on Motorola's MTX 9000 series commercial radios. My MTX9250 handheld uses the same antennas.

The new DTR600/700 models which replaced the legacy DTR410/550/650 models has a small threaded stud type connector. It is not usable for anything other than the stock 1/2 wave and optional helical stubby antenna.

Last edited:

W5JG

Premium Subscriber
You can set them up as individual ID's, where you can talk one-to one and also setup groups as a broadcast to all units.

Please tell me how to setup a private group on these phones. I have several i576's. I have tried to figure out how to setup a private group, but failed. I can do private one-to-one calls. And of course, the calls to anyone on the same channel and code (public group) works as expected.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Please tell me how to setup a private group on these phones. I have several i576's. I have tried to figure out how to setup a private group, but failed. I can do private one-to-one calls. And of course, the calls to anyone on the same channel and code (public group) works as expected.

I'm trying to remember, but I believe Direct Talk mode limits you to all calls (everyone on the same channel and code) and one-to-one private calls. IIRC, you can set up private talkgroups on Direct Connect mode, but that's different than Direct Talk.

n1das

No Private Groups in Direct Talk mode on these ancient phones. Private Groups started with the DTR550 and DTR650 radios. The old DTR410 was the first of the legacy DTR models (DTR410/550/650) and also has no Private Groups.

If you want Private Groups, you will have to step up to a DTR550 or DTR650 among the legacy DTRs and DTR600 or DTR700 for the newer models. The tiny little DLR1020/1060 models of the DLR series can do Private Groups and is compatible with Private Groups in the DTRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.