Old Radio Needs A Tune-Up

MiCon

Mike
Way back in 1969 I bought a TRIO 9R-59D HF receiver while stationed in Japan. Used it for about 20 years, then it just sat around for the next 33 years. It was a good receiver, but it's a tube radio. It still works, and I'd like to start using it again, but it needs a serious tune-up. Probably needs new tubes, alignment, and a good cleaning on all knobs.

Does anyone know of anyplace or person that still services the old tube radios?

Something local would be great, I live in central AZ, but I might be willing to drop it off in southern CA, or ship it somewhere. It's a big radio, but worth it to me to get it back in shape.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hi Mike, I know a guy who came highly recommended to me by HRO in Anaheim. He repairs older solid state Kenwoods, so I am not sure he would tackle your project, but he might be worth a try. PM me if you would like his email address.

MiCon

Mike
Hi Mike, I know a guy who came highly recommended to me by HRO in Anaheim. He repairs older solid state Kenwoods, so I am not sure he would tackle your project, but he might be worth a try. PM me if you would like his email address.
Engine 104, I'd be interested in contacting him. I've never used the PM feature here, don't even know how to access it. Can you PM me so I can just respond to that? Or you can contact me at mhcon@juno.com.

jcherepy

Premium Subscriber
If things don't work out you might look into Clairmont-Skyland radio and tv services in Gainesville, GA. They do restoration work as well as repairs. You can see some of their restorations on their Facebook page. They have a very good reputation among the Amateur Radio community here in Georgia.

MiCon

Mike
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try Engine104's suggestion first. If he doesn't do tube radios, maybe he knows someone who does.