Old Radio Shack PRO-96 scanner taken out of mothballs-is it operational for 2022?

Inquiring22

I've taken my Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner out of storage.

Is my Pro-96 in need of frequency re-programming AND will the electronics still support current reception protocols and function as a scanner receiver?

My Pro-96 is 100% operational and functional.

I live in South East Idaho but want to use the Pro-96 across the USA when I travel.

I desire to listen to PD, EMS, Fire, and any other government or military agency chatter that my Pro-96 will intercept and broadcast. I use a Diamond RH77-CA antenna.

Thank you.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
The PRO-96 is not suitable to use as a travel scanner. You would have to program every system across the country into the scanner and that is not possible. Several of the newer scanners have SD cards which allow you to load the entire national database. You may be able to use the scanner in your local area. Let me know your city, county, and state and I will look up what is available in your area and if your scanner is capable of receiving it. Do you have programming software and the programming cable?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've taken my Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner out of storage.

Is my Pro-96 in need of frequency re-programming AND will the electronics still support current reception protocols and function as a scanner receiver?

My Pro-96 is 100% operational and functional.

I live in South East Idaho but want to use the Pro-96 across the USA when I travel.

I desire to listen to PD, EMS, Fire, and any other government or military agency chatter that my Pro-96 will intercept and broadcast. I use a Diamond RH77-CA antenna.

Thank you.
As tvengr noted, your location (actual county, or city) would be more useful in determining what your scanner can be used for.

However, for Idaho's statewide system, ICAWIN, it appears that the majority of the system's sites use 700MHz frequencies. While you can enable reception in that band by using software & activating the extended frequencies, the scanner still will not trunk track 700MHz channels. That band was not in use when the scanner was designed & sold.

The 'extended frequencies' activation would enable reception in the military aircraft band. However, the scanner was not designed to receive that, so reception could be unpredictable or very poor.

Also note that if you travel to or through major metro areas elsewhere in the U.S, states, you will likely incur not only other systems using 700MHz frequencies, but also a number of them using P25, Phase II, which the Pro-96 cannot handle.

While you cannot program a large number of other systems for monitoring in other states, you could set up at least some using the scanner's V-folders. But I suspect that in many areas, unfortunately, the Pro-96 is no longer the tool for the job.

Inquiring22

The PRO-96 is not suitable to use as a travel scanner. You would have to program every system across the country into the scanner and that is not possible. Several of the newer scanners have SD cards which allow you to load the entire national database. You may be able to use the scanner in your local area. Let me know your city, county, and state and I will look up what is available in your area and if your scanner is capable of receiving it. Do you have programming software and the programming cable?
hello-

I have the data programming cable which has the RCA jack and DB connector but I do not have the programming disk.
I live in Twin Falls County in Idaho and live within the Twin Falls city limits.
Im understanding that my Pro96 is obsolete in some areas so what successor scanner is the current tech for reception in my area and other metropolitan areas that I might visit in my travels OR are EMS/PD/Fire/Military/Aviation all encrypted? Thank you.

Inquiring22

As tvengr noted, your location (actual county, or city) would be more useful in determining what your scanner can be used for.

However, for Idaho's statewide system, ICAWIN, it appears that the majority of the system's sites use 700MHz frequencies. While you can enable reception in that band by using software & activating the extended frequencies, the scanner still will not trunk track 700MHz channels. That band was not in use when the scanner was designed & sold.

The 'extended frequencies' activation would enable reception in the military aircraft band. However, the scanner was not designed to receive that, so reception could be unpredictable or very poor.

Also note that if you travel to or through major metro areas elsewhere in the U.S, states, you will likely incur not only other systems using 700MHz frequencies, but also a number of them using P25, Phase II, which the Pro-96 cannot handle.

While you cannot program a large number of other systems for monitoring in other states, you could set up at least some using the scanner's V-folders. But I suspect that in many areas, unfortunately, the Pro-96 is no longer the tool for the job.
Im understanding that my Pro96 is obsolete in some areas so what successor scanner is the current tech for reception in my area and other metropolitan areas that I might visit in my travels OR are EMS/PD/Fire/Military/Aviation all encrypted? Thank you.

Inquiring22

Where can I locate a primer on digital trunking and current tech scanner theory and operation? Would I be able to locate a radio club within my town or County? Is there a national directory for radio clubs?
Thank you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't see any sites or talkgroups listed for Twin Falls County on the ICAWIN system. Twin falls City is changing to a new P25 UHF trunked system which the PRO-96 can receive: Twin Falls P25
It appears that Twin Falls County is still using conventional frequencies.
Twin Falls County, Idaho (ID) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (radioreference.com)
Also using SIRCOMM. https://www.radioreference.com › aid
Also state police district 4. Idaho State Police (Idaho) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (radioreference.com)

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The Pro-96 is about 20 years old as of date of this post & radio / scanning technologies have evolved quite a bit since then. It was a powerhouse scanner in its day. I owned one along with its base model equivalent, the Pro-2096 & I will remain fond of it since it is the first scanner I ever heard P25 activity on when Philly's citywide trunked radio system came online many moons ago. Getting back to the topic at hand: you'll only be able to pick up these system types & system voices:
  • System Types:
    • Motorola Type I
    • Motorola Type II
    • Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
    • Motorola Type II Smartnet
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone
    • Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
    • EDACS Standard (Wide)
    • EDACS Standard Networked
    • Project 25 Standard
  • System Voices:
    • Analog
    • Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
    • APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Many agencies now use P25 Phase-II trunked radio systems, some of which live around the 700mhz band, neither of which your Pro 96 can handle. And when you put encryption into the mix (an ever-growing trend these turbulent days), indicated in the database "mode" column as "DE or TE (full time) & De or Te (partial), no scanner can track these channels or talkgroups. No scanner on the market today will be able to track every transmission from every system everywhere in the USA but with the Uniden SDS100 with DMR, NXDN & Provoice (antiquated protocol) upgrades applied, this is the closest you can get with today's technologies, especially to combat the detrimental effects of simulcast distortion which is often in play on statewide P25 Phase-II systems with simulcast cells

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Best to use your 96 for other analog duties such as air band and get at least a digital capable scanner. I resurrected my old Pro 92 recently and use it for scanning mil air. Have other scanners to handle digital stuff. For ease of traveling, a 436 or SDS100 would work good as you can scan by zip code. Or, get the gps unit so it will adjust while your driving.

yes there very much usful depending on what your listening for there auwsome for aviation and marine and shipping and local police and ambulance in alot of areas i have 3 and wouldnt trade for them or sell them period lots of usefulness
73s
kc5fws
Monte
if you deside to get rid of it let me know lol

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
The best use for it, IMO, would be monitoring any local straight P25 frequencies you have in your area. I have a PRO-197 and I do just that with it. I have about 10 P25 objects in it. It scans fast and picks up what the 15x next to it can't receive.

For travel these days you'll need to spend a small fortune on an SDS, or at least take the "L" with simulcast and get a 436/325p2 with upgrades.

west-pac

I use a Pro-2096 and Pro-197 to monitor the Indiana statewide P25 system. The 2096 has worked flawlessly over the past 15+ years that I've had it; and the 197 I picked up for $40 locally a few years ago. Both of those scanners will tell me when I'm receiving an encrypted Talkgroup, versus the newer Uniden scanners that ignore encrypted Talkgroups. I like knowing when there is a lot of SWAT, ERT, Narcotics, Vice, etc...radio traffic; that tells me there is a situation unfolding somewhere (hints and clues from other radio traffic will fill in the gaps). The old RS scanners will let me know that there is encrypted radio traffic being received, but the Unidens completely ignore it.