Old Radio Shack scanners

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
What are the oldest RS scanners that can be programed with software and that uses a potentiometer

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Would you know where I could find a used one and also are base scanners stronger than hand helded scanners
Yes... the base scanners are definitely stronger than the handheld ones, I would have no problem setting several books on top of most of the older base scanners, portables wouldn't take it as well. :)

Ok... on the other hand a base has (had) more room for better filtering and spacing of components.

Thanks
Joel

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Yes... the base scanners are definitely stronger than the handheld ones, I would have no problem setting several books on top of most of the older base scanners, portables wouldn't take it as well. :)

Ok... on the other hand a base has (had) more room for better filtering and spacing of components.

Thanks
Joel
What is the oldest base scanner that has pl tones and programming software

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Good question, not sure, maybe a search of the radio shack catalog archive would be helpful.

I had to re-read your original post, I was used to crystal scanners, and scanners that could be programmed are not exactly what your looking for.

Thanks
Joel

RMason

Premium Subscriber
When did they stopped using the potentimeter
The Pro-197 was introduced in 2010. It was manufactured by GRE. It uses a potentiometer for volume/squelch. See service manual here:

The Pro-652 is essentially the same as the Pro-197. The Pro-652 was introduced in 2014 (manufactured by Whistler instead of GRE).

You may find this page of interest:

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-197 was introduced in 2010. It was manufactured by GRE. It uses a potentiometer for volume/squelch. See service manual here:

The Pro-652 is essentially the same as the Pro-197. The Pro-652 was introduced in 2014 (manufactured by Whistler instead of GRE).

You may find this page of interest:
But it seems like that my Pro-2015 went further before the static than my Pro-197 does that make any sense

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When did they stopped using the potentimeter
I'm not sure what you are really looking for.

This started over in the Uniden forum, in regards to a 996P2:
What is oldest scanner that uses pots that has Pl tones or that can be setup by programming software
Now, we're rehashing the same thing in regards to Radio Shack scanners.

Squelch is a setting to eliminate background noise so that the scanner is dealing with actual, active frequencies.

It makes zero difference whether it's set with a specific, dedicated potentiometer, or via a via a multi=function knob on many newer Uniden scanners, where you press once for volume control adjustment, or, via a press of the Function key, followed by pressing the knob to go into squelch setting mode. It also does not matter whether the squelch setting that cuts the static is labeled as "2" or any other number, higher or lower.

You want the setting to be high enough to get rid of the background static. It does not matter whether, on a specific scanner, you have a marked setting, one that comes up on the display, or merely a ring around the knob. The end result is the same. If you turn the squelch down too low, you'll hear mostly static, not a readable conversation. You might, at a zero setting, hear faint noises, perhaps from a conversation, in and amongst the static, but that's nothing clear enough that helps you figure out who's talking about what. Also, at a zero (or basically a 'no squelch setting with only static), the scanner will simply stop right there, not continue scanning, looking for other signals. That's all you'll hear, is background static instead of a clear transmission.

Also note that if you get your wish for 'the oldest scanner with pots', that can be programmed via software, it's almost certainly will be an analog, not a digital capable, scanner. Even if it is capable of being programmed for a trunked system, you'll be out of luck receiving South Carolina's statewide system, Palmetto 800, as it is digital.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
But it seems like that my Pro-2015 went further before the static than my Pro-197 does that make any sense
You're trying to compare apples to oranges. What are you actually trying to accomplish or what problems are you having?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That little difference with the squelch knocking out channels
Ok I understand and I agree. The squelch control on the PRO-197 almost acts like an audio taper potentiometer rather than a linear one. The PRO-197 being a digital scanner might have something to do with it's peculiar behavior but I don't think so. I actually thought at first it has a internal crack in the carbon ribbon track that was causing the abrupt jump but they're all like that. Maybe a design flaw but you'd think they would have corrected it over time, but no they didn't. Reminds me of Uniden and some of their blunders. :rolleyes:

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Ok I understand and I agree. The squelch control on the PRO-197 almost acts like an audio taper potentiometer rather than a linear one. The PRO-197 being a digital scanner might have something to do with it's peculiar behavior but I don't think so. I actually thought at first it has a internal crack in the carbon ribbon track that was causing the abrupt jump but they're all like that. Maybe a design flaw but you'd think they would have corrected it over time, but no they didn't. Reminds me of Uniden and some of their blunders. :rolleyes:
Does that mean that the squelch on a digital is less than a analog

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Does that mean that the squelch on a digital is less than a analog
It's like a different animal, at least when you're monitoring a trunked digital system. You monitor the control channel but you never hear it even if the squelch is set to zero. Likewise if I set my SDS200 squelch all the way up to 19 everything works as it does at zero, no affect at all.

The control picks the active voice channel and lets you hear that.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
It's like a different animal, at least when you're monitoring a trunked digital system. You monitor the control channel but you never hear it even if the squelch is set to zero. Likewise if I set my SDS200 squelch all the way up to 19 everything works as it does at zero, no affect at all.

The control picks the active voice channel and lets you hear that.
I mainly listen to 150's mhz