• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old Shakespear Big Stick Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

longnight

I was given an old shakespear big stick cb antenna by a friend. He passed away before I was able to ask him about it. It has 4 sections and is 16 feet in length. Before I attempt to put it up I would like to know more about it. How do the bottom 2 sections go together. They have no threads like the other sections. Is there anything that should be inside the bottom 2 sections like a coax or? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Chuck Saylor

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
The old bigsticks had 2 lengths....how is it you have a old one with 4 lengths? Even the newer ones made recently have 3....? Anyways, they are half-wave antennas, made for both 10 and 11 meters. They are made to work with great efficiency at heights over 30 feet. That was where my antenna was and I talked to whomever I heard..

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I had BigStick antenna for CB back in the 70's and MisterLogwave is correct, it was two sections, the upper screwed into the lower. A SO-239 connector was at the bottom to attach the coax. You might want to go to AmericanHistory.com and look through old CB magazines for advertisements for the BigStick, it was a popular antenna of the time.

longnight

Thank you Mister Longwire. You are correct it is only three sections. My mistake. Can you tell me me if there should be a coax inside the bottom section that attaches to the inside of the second section? How does the bottom section attach to the second saection sinse they do not screw together?
Thanks

prcguy

There are 3 section and I believe 4 section big stick antennas. I have a Shakespeare Style 376, which is the 3 section version and its an end fed half wave similar to an Antron 99 but much better quality. I believe they made the 4 section to shorten it for cheaper and easier shipping. Then there was the Shakespeare ABS-1600 "Army Big Stick" which was a 21ft long 5/8 wave that came in either green or white.

longnight

Thank you prcguy. Mine is 16 feet in length. Can you answer any of my other questions about the big stick?

prcguy

You would have to post a picture for us to understand exactly what you have. There should also be a model number on the base of a Big Stick antenna that will identify what you have. All the sections of a Big Stick antenna simply screw together and its pretty obvious. The bottom section will have the coax connector and there are no open sections where you would see any internal coax.

QUOTE="longnight, post: 3256280, member: 1342692"]
Thank you prcguy. Mine is 16 feet in length. Can you answer any of my other questions about the big stick?
[/QUOTE]

MisterLongwire

Banned
and there was supposed to be a lock washer between the whip section and the lower "fat" unit. 2 u-bolts connected the antenna to a mast and on the bottom the the lower unit was a SO239 connector where you would hook up your coax. At the time back in the 70's I used RG8 which worked great. MY coax was not relly that long as I had a 36 foot mast and barely any slack in my coax to hook up to my meters and then the patch cord to the radio (Navajo TRC-458) At that time I had 4 radios all eating electricity since I am a amateur radio operator. @ radios hooked up to my Big Stick/PDL2 and the others on end fed coax. Oh the days!

MisterLongwire

Banned
I agree with PRCGUY about a label that was located on the lower part of the bottom antenna. It was a chrome sticker with Shakespeare logo, model number of antenna, patents, etc. That is all I remember. Oh...500 watts is all the antenna can handle.

longnight

I agree with PRCGUY about a label that was located on the lower part of the bottom antenna. It was a chrome sticker with Shakespeare logo, model number of antenna, patents, etc. That is all I remember. Oh...500 watts is all the antenna can handle.
Mister Longwire and Prcguy. At the base of my big stick it has a label that says Shakespear. If there was another that said big stick and model it is gone now. I do not have a smart phone to give you a picture and would not know how to do it anyway. Not a very technical person. Sorry. The whip
and middle section do screw together with a lock washer between as you say. The antenna base with the mast bracket and SO 239 is there, but the second section is where I am lost. It is open on the bottom end and the base section is open on the top end. These are not threaded sections, but look like they slip together. Inside the top of the base section and bottom of the second section there appears to be what looks like smaller threaded attachments that perhaps a coax cable would screw on to. When my friend had it the antenna got out very well bare foot. Hope this makes sense to you both. Question 1. Is there s coax that goes between the base and second section on the inside of the tube. Question 2. How does the base section and second section fit together since they are not threaded.
Thanks for your help.

russbrill

If I remember correctly, there was two versions of the Big Stick. 1st was just the plain "Big Stick (16ft)", and the 2nd was the "Super Big Stick (18ft), A.K.A. Big Stick II"...….

prcguy

Sounds like the OP might have an aftermarket mast or something extra with his Big Stick. Is the extra bottom section white fiberglass or aluminum or ??? Here is a picture of someones Style 373 Big Stick III, see if that is similar.

longnight

Hi to all who are helping me out here. My big stick looks more like the marine type prcguy has sent a picture of. In spongella's picture there is a coax that runs from the inside of the SO 239 up inside of the antenna. That coax is what is missing in my big stick. Perhaps I can get that part from the shakespear factory? Do you know what it is called and what type of connectors it uses?

Thanks again to all.

prcguy

The coax inside a Big Stick is not user replaceable and doesn't come out unless you destroy the antenna. The coax is only inside the original two section Big Stick where the bottom half of the antenna is a hollow skirt 1/4 wavelength long that is grounded and the top is simply a 1/4 wave fiberglass whip making the antenna a center fed half wave. The later versions had a matching circuit in the very bottom of the antenna and the rest of the antenna was the 1/2 wave end fed radiator.

Hi to all who are helping me out here. My big stick looks more like the marine type prcguy has sent a picture of. In spongella's picture there is a coax that runs from the inside of the SO 239 up inside of the antenna. That coax is what is missing in my big stick. Perhaps I can get that part from the shakespear factory? Do you know what it is called and what type of connectors it uses?

Thanks again to all.

W5lz

A 'sleeve dipole'? Well, yes-n-no .. sort of. As was said above, there were several variations in how it was made. But, those variations were mainly for economical reasons rather than electrical ones. Where you feed a 1/2 wave antenna makes little difference in it's radiation pattern. An end-fed one will behave like a center fed, or OCF 1/2 wave one. They all have the same qualifiers/limitations, such as height above ground, what's near it, etc. So, which would be the easiest for you to mount??

prcguy

The original Shakespeare Big Stick was a sleeve dipole and its model was "Style 176". Then came the marine version with 1" threaded base to mate with marine mounts, still a sleeve dipole and the model was Style 176-1. Then due to shipping costs for the two piece Style 176, they came out with a half wave end fed three piece version the Style 376 and I believe later there was a 4 piece version that was otherwise identical when it was assembled.

Was the Big Stick a coaxial sleeve dipole?

Status
Not open for further replies.