Old THP frequencies usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree that they do some chit chat but of recent the "business" conversations have shifted back to TACN.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Are any of the VHF low and or high band frequencies still in use in the District 3/Nashville area any?
All of the low band frequencies are being returned. There may be a few cars with low band radios but they are slowly being removed and all new cars do not have a low band radio.
The high band frequencies are remaining as back ups to the TRS. The 159.090 repeaters are still active in the Nashville District as backups. The 154.905 low power mobile extenders are no more.

emcom

Yep. I talked to a trooper from District 7 not too long ago and he was showing me his unit. He had the low band turned off saying it wasn't used anymore. Im guessing they want to get away from the larger antennas and vhf hi is a good compromise for a backup.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Yep. I talked to a trooper from District 7 not too long ago and he was showing me his unit. He had the low band turned off saying it wasn't used anymore. Im guessing they want to get away from the larger antennas and vhf hi is a good compromise for a backup.

Not really.

Tennessee has always been a PITA for the Troopers with regards to communications. Flatlands surrounded by corrugated mountains has necessitated multiple, complicated radio systems.

As they migrate to the new monolithic TACN system, they are turning down some of the legacy systems. Cabin space is a premium, and there's no real justification to keep low band in the cars, much less foot the $ to maintain them. Too bad, VHF-Low is a great piece of analog spectrum, but we march forward, right?

emcom

Not really.

Tennessee has always been a PITA for the Troopers with regards to communications. Flatlands surrounded by corrugated mountains has necessitated multiple, complicated radio systems.

...Too bad, VHF-Low is a great piece of analog spectrum, but we march forward, right?

I feel your pain. AL troopers just discovered repeaters a year or two ago. They revert to duplex non-repeat at random. The mountainous areas have to utilize different towers at times or switch to a county SO channel to communicate when they cant reach one of the 3 dispatch centers. The towers are linked by phone line, so mobile units were hard or impossible to monitor in the past unless you had an antenna with some height.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
All of the low band frequencies are being returned. There may be a few cars with low band radios but they are slowly being removed and all new cars do not have a low band radio.
The high band frequencies are remaining as back ups to the TRS. The 159.090 repeaters are still active in the Nashville District as backups. The 154.905 low power mobile extenders are no more.

Can you advise what the other "back up" high band frequencies are--perhaps like 155.43?

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Should these frequencies would be programmed into the scanner as VHF Conventional, or as digital or trunked?

If memory serves...

Those frequencies are statewide (maybe national) VHF Hi-Band interoperability frequencies. If so, without knowing anything specific right now (gearing up to eat at multiple places....whew), I am betting they for sure are not trunked, probably not digital, but probably with multiple PL tones to activate different repeater systems or announcement groups.

Guessing... go easy on me!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Multiple Tones in use, differ for each TN DPS/DHS/THP/TEMA district, as well as an Statewide Access Tone, though are all liced now for P25 and there are plans to go to P25 for all State of TN Public Safety systems. It will take years before it could get fully done, but it eventually will happen. We have an listing I thought of the TNMA set up, including VTNMAs, UTNMA, and 8TNMA.

We do:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1102
And for THP.. See the VHF High Band repeaters, each district has its own tones.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=641

Always search the DB first, it is wise, it is your friend.... Then ask us and we will do what we can to assist,.. If that fails... Then the old dog has to come off the porch and search the bands.... If you find things in use we don't have listed, submit it to us and we will add it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Multiple Tones in use, differ for each TN DPS/DHS/THP/TEMA district, as well as an Statewide Access Tone, though are all liced now for P25 and there are plans to go to P25 for all State of TN Public Safety systems. It will take years before it could get fully done, but it eventually will happen. We have an listing I thought of the TNMA set up, including VTNMAs, UTNMA, and 8TNMA.

We do:
Common/Shared Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
And for THP.. See the VHF High Band repeaters, each district has its own tones.
Highway Patrol (THP) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Always search the DB first, it is wise, it is your friend.... Then ask us and we will do what we can to assist,.. If that fails... Then the old dog has to come off the porch and search the bands.... If you find things in use we don't have listed, submit it to us and we will add it! :)

Yes, I know that before the THP switched over to the TACN, that these high band frequencies were analog/conventional. However, the TWRA, was using high band digital, before they switched over to the TACN. So, with the new radio equipment in the THP cars, I wanted to know if I should program these into my Whister 1080, as analog or digital. That was my question.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
All the above. Not being an a** just being honest as we don't know if they have switched everyone yet and all the tones including the nacs are listed.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

jimg

Premium Subscriber
All the above. Not being an a** just being honest as we don't know if they have switched everyone yet and all the tones including the nacs are listed.

OK and thanks! (And, you're not being an ---)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
I’m assuming all low band radios have by now been removed from vehicles. How about base consoles? I sure would like to purge THP low band from my mobile travel scanner.

Because my brain is backwards compatible, I’ll probably keep them loaded in a handheld until their FCC license expires February 10, 2024. Of course, that license, KA2856, includes mutual aid frequencies and no one will probably ever think to drop the low bands upon renewal.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
I’m assuming all low band radios have by now been removed from vehicles. How about base consoles? I sure would like to purge THP low band from my mobile travel scanner.

Because my brain is backwards compatible, I’ll probably keep them loaded in a handheld until their FCC license expires February 10, 2024. Of course, that license, KA2856, includes mutual aid frequencies and no one will probably ever think to drop the low bands upon renewal.
You can remove the low band frequencies from your scanner. All of the THP low band control stations and mobile relays have been removed from the state tower sites. There are still some mobiles left in the vehicles but most will be removed by early next year. The low band radios still in the vehicles are being disconnected by the Techs as time permits.
The high band repeaters are still in place and are still being used as backups to the TRS though you may not hear much traffic on them.

iamhere300

That is a shame. Missouri is keeping their low band system up as long as they can, as a backup to the MOSWIN system. Never hurts to have a backup system.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm TN has VHF high and UHF backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.