Old Uniden BC100XLT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra008

Is there anyway I can add 800 MHz to my old Uniden BC100XLT hand held scanner?

If so could someone tell me how and send me links where to purchase parts.

Thank you in advance for replying!!

SAR923

No, it can't be done, at least not for any reasonable cost. If you are in area with non-digital trunking, you can get a new scanner for less than $150 and less than $100 on e-bay.

xzebra008

Thanks for the answer!

So if I where living in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area what hand held would be good for me that is not too expensive?

As of now I do not believe they are using the trunk system, however I would hate to buy one and then have it be obsolete in the next year. Is there anyway to tell if they are planning to upgrade around my local area?

Again..Thanks for your help!

xzebra008

Tags?

This may so dumb to some but I do not know all of this info.
Also how do I read all of this:

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
____________________________________________________________________________________
OK ? ? ? ? ? LOTS what are all? ok ?

captclint

Mentor
How do I read all of this:

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
Put your mouse over each heading, and you will get a brief explanation. Basically, all you really need is Frequency and Description. Tone comes in handy when you get a new scanner that can handle it.
At the top of this page: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1267
you will see a list of trunking systems. This determines what type of scanner you need. In particular, this one is digital:
Michigan Public Safety Communications (MPSCS) Project 25 Standard Statewide
I would think you would want to monitor since "Kent County’s public safety agencies are planning on migrating to the MPSCS, by late next year, or by 2010 at the latest."

Here's a comparison chart of portable scanners, which also shows which ones are digital under "Trunking systems" This is another source of Just digital: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

BTW, why did you say you needed 800Mhz? What did you want to monitor there. I ask because I only see a couple of places where 800mhz is used, except this MPSCS.

Last edited:

xzebra008

Mpscs?

Not to be dumb but I am kind of new to all of this....So what type of hand held should I look at?

Is there anything at $200-or less?

W9NES

To answer your question there are no digitial scanners from Radio Shack or Uniden that are under $200.00. I paid $475.00 for my Uniden BC 396T that is like new from Uniden.I also own (6) of the Uniden BC 996T's and the last one I bought was for $450.00 from another member of this fourm.If you have any futher questions please feel free to pm me anytime."My doors are always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong Ham Radio Operator W9NES Indianapolis,Indiana *You will need a Digital scanner for the state of Michigan*

xzebra008

But they did not go digital yet? correct?

If so would my old BC100XLT do for now?

And what about the BC246T Trunking Scanner? Would this not do?

captclint

Mentor
You should double check this by asking on the MI forum. I just noticed you already got this question answered in the MI forum.

Should be OK from what I see, but people from MI might have better insight. W9NES seems to think you need digitial now, and he is a lot closer to you than I am;)

This would be no better, generally speaking, than what you have, as it is not digital. It has to be on this list to be digital: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners

Last edited:

jerk

You need to ask in the Michigan forum. But on the RR Kent County Page it says all agencies are moving to the Michigan Public Safety Communications (MPSCS) system by 2010
My guess is many if not all have made the switch. So yes, you will need a digital scanner.

The good news is waiting and searching you will find bargains either here or on eBay.
So for 100 dollars more than the BC246, you could ind a digital scanner that will work.
Pro-96 or Pro-2096 Radio Shack can be had for $300.00

And yes, your BC100XLT would do for now, but you will not hear police, you may hear fire dispatch tone outs, and you hears hams and skywarn... If the city is still on VHF and UHF you should hear that fine also, but the other stuff, most of it gets boring.
I would start saving my pennies and hinting for birthday, Christmas, etc.

W9NES

Thanks Capt Clint,I just trying to help a felow member who asked a question and trying to provide him with answers to his questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.