Old VHF-Hi receiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Back in the early 1970's one of my very first police receivers was a mobile unit. I do NOT recall who made it. It was a VHF-Hi band (148-173Mhz) capable with two crystal slots and knob to turn a capacitor tuner. It ran on 12VDC and was roughly the size of a Realistic Pro 77 scanner.

The knob tuner was circular with a small illuminated window showing the frequency you were tuned to. If you had a crystal installed the tuner had to be close to the crystal frequency to receive the crystal signal.

I recall the sensitivity and selectivity were horrible, but it got me started AND I could tune in my base's maintenance net with the tuner (and maybe hear them at the gate). Only thing I cannot remember about the face is the brand name.

Anyone possibly have a recollection of such a beast?

Many thanks

Lynn

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Have you waded thru RigPix to see if anything jostles your memory?
I had a couple of years ago and didn't find anything. This time I found a receiver that is almost the exact unit except it is VHF-Lo. It is the Lafayette Micro P50, my unit was VHF-Hi.

I cannot find the VHF-Hi version listed anywhere though, but I've got a start.

Thanks

N8IAA

Walking through one of the Lafayette stores near Chicago in 1970 was dangerous. Floor was wet, everyone slobbering looking at all the neat stuff.

Radio Pics has a picture of the scanner.
Ebay has one for sale.

Sorry, they say out of stock. Should have checked before posting. Just gave myself a Gibb's head slap.

MStep

I had the Lafayette P100 for about a year. I worked at the store in Brooklyn on Bedford Ave and the manager gave me the radio at the store's price, which was about $26.00 The list price I believe was 99.95. It was small enough to keep stored in the glove compartment of my car and worked well enough to monitor the Brooklyn Fire frequency in tunable mode. Soon thereafter, I "graduated" to the completely crystal controlled Sonar FR-105.

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Had the Micro P-50 and it had an optional external case with shoulder strap that carried batteries and had an extendable antenna. The radio mounted onto the case with the standard knurled screws and connected to the antenna and battery pack with fixed cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.