Old Viper and New Viper in WNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that within the last month or so, I am no longer picking up any Viper traffic. My assumption is that since that information is no longer listed in the RR database, it is no longer used. I assume that I need to reset my 996xt to the use of the new P25 system. Why is it though that I am not hearing the new system anyway? Weren't both the old and new systems using the same frequencies? I also am noting that there are far fewer talk groups listed as well for the p25 system (Viper). Is that just because there hasn't been enough time to learn those? (and list in RR's database?)

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
The "new" VIPER is a P25 system, so you'll need to change the system type in your scanner from Motorola 800/900 to P25. The frequencies are the same, although there may be an exception here and there.
If you listen to the control channel (frequency), you should hear the familiar noise. Once you hear that, just edit the system to select P25, and delete your old talkgroups.
The "new" system has even more "channels" than before, and they are set up in "blocks" that are assigned to each county. New talkgroups are being added almost daily. If you use the Wildcard for the site you are near, you might discover some talkgroups in use near you that aren't in the database. Also, there is a thread running with information on the "new" VIPER system. It's over 50 pages, so there's a lot to catch up on. Enjoy!

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
so I don't

...necessarily have to start from scratch. I am using the RR database pulled with the FreeScan software but am interested in seeing if I can find groups on my own. Thanks for this, very helpful!

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
No, you certainly DON'T have to start over. At least not when it comes to the site information. I'm not sure which VIPER site you are monitoring, but I can say with certainty that the Chambers Mountain site (020) is active on P25. Just in case you need to verify the frequencies, 853.7875 MHz is the control channel, and 852.575 MHz is the alternate. That was confirmed last weekend when I was staying in Maggie Valley. The majority of the radio traffic that I copied was NCSHP. Haywood County does not appear to be using the VIPER system, yet.

Your best bet would be to program the Wildcard (*) into the scanner, then jot down (or log with software) the hits to determine what is active. Also remember that the database was created and is maintained by volunteers. Folks like you and I submitting information is how it keeps rolling.

David C.

robkermit

While you don't necessarily have to start over, it may be quicker and easier to just start over fresh than it would be to go through and manually erase the old 4.1 talkgroups.

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
That's true from a manual programming standpoint. I've become spoiled to using programming software on the computer, and I just selected and deleted, then typed the new talkgroups into the software.
I have a tendency to do things the hard way sometimes. Thanks for the input robkermit.

Status
Not open for further replies.