Old vs. New

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakell

I was just curious if a newer model scanner has better recieving technology than an older scanner does. for example would a Radio Shack Pro-433 (Newer) scanner pick up or receive frequncies better or more clearly than a Pro-2037 (1995 ish?) I am thinking about upgrading from my 2037 to a 433 and I didn't know if it was really worth it.

mciupa

Database Admin
I just looked at the features, system compatibilities, rebanding capability and software programming of the Pro 433 and think it would be an excellent one to upgrade to. Price seems reasonable.

I shouldn't say it but you could always buy it and decide before thirty days to return it if it appears deaf.

CStarr59

I have a 433 and it is an excellent performing radio. It does not have alpha tag (text) so you might want to consider this feature if it is something you need. Other than that the radio is outstanding.

hoser147

I was just curious if a newer model scanner has better recieving technology than an older scanner does. for example would a Radio Shack Pro-433 (Newer) scanner pick up or receive frequncies better or more clearly than a Pro-2037 (1995 ish?) I am thinking about upgrading from my 2037 to a 433 and I didn't know if it was really worth it.

Where are you located and what is going on with the radio systems in your area?? 2nd what do you monitor the most...............Hoser

jakell

I mostly just scan fire and police but I am trying to tap in to the local security force in pine ridge I finally tagged one of the frequencies for the cars, but I am only getting the cars when they are close to the house and I am not receiving the guard shack about a mile away. The one frequncie that I tagged is a UHF freq. so I was wondering if the new scanner would be able to do a better job in picking these up.

KC0QNB

I mostly just scan fire and police but I am trying to tap in to the local security force in pine ridge I finally tagged one of the frequencies for the cars, but I am only getting the cars when they are close to the house and I am not receiving the guard shack about a mile away. The one frequncie that I tagged is a UHF freq. so I was wondering if the new scanner would be able to do a better job in picking these up.
Is pine ridge using a repeater?, if so sounds like you the repeater input freq programmed not the output freq.
Next where is pine ridge I know there is one here in Nebraska but I am sure it is not the same one, what freq do you have programmed in?

jakell

No pineridge is in bushkill pa they used to be on vhf but changed security forces and now I think they use something different because they antennas on the cars can't be bigger than 6 or 7 inches tall and when I monitor the frequency that I can hear the cars on (466.750) I also have signal stalker on with my handheld and it's not tagging anything else. I have a radio shack 20-176 antenna mounted about 10 ft up outside but do you think I might have better results with a regular uhf tv antenna?

KC0QNB

No pineridge is in bushkill pa they used to be on vhf but changed security forces and now I think they use something different because they antennas on the cars can't be bigger than 6 or 7 inches tall and when I monitor the frequency that I can hear the cars on (466.750) I also have signal stalker on with my handheld and it's not tagging anything else. I have a radio shack 20-176 antenna mounted about 10 ft up outside but do you think I might have better results with a regular uhf tv antenna?
try 461.750

captclint

Mentor
I mostly just scan fire and police but I am trying to tap in to the local security force in pine ridge I finally tagged one of the frequencies for the cars, but I am only getting the cars
Just subtract 5mhz from the car freq to see if you can get the base. I.E. Mobile=460.1250, Base=455.1250. BTW, I know you have been working on this Pine ridge in Pike Cty, PA thing for a while. What mobile freq did you find?

jakell

ok I will try that freq. Someone was telling me that on some of the little walkie radios when they transmit it picks any number of freq. to transmit on.

jakell

Hey Capt I didn't want to start a whole new conversation on this I know I may have rubbed this subject a little raw before so I am sorry. But the freq I found is 466.750

captclint

Mentor
I mostly just scan fire and police but I am trying to tap in to the local security force in pine ridge I finally tagged one of the frequencies for the cars, but I am only getting the cars
Just subtract 5mhz from the car freq to see if you can get the base. I.E. Mobile=466.750, Base=461.750. BTW, I know you have been working on this Pine ridge in Pike Cty, PA thing for a while. Do you have a PL/DPL? I don't think a new radio would help enough to make a switch worthwhile. You have a good antenna as well.

There is a trunked system in pike cty using that freq. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WPNQ513 Take a look at the location of the repeater so see how close it is to you. That may tell you why you can't hear the base. The FB6 class indicates it is capable of being trunked, but the radio service says IG: Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional . I know this guy, and most of his systems are trunked, so the mobile freq that you found may not be the home channel. You should still be able to listen to 95% of the conversations if you program all of the FB6 frequencies. One of these is will be the "home" channel, but you may have to listen a while to see which one is used for Pine Ridge 95% of the time.

Last edited:

jakell

Yea I was just curious about a new radio it may be time for a new one anyway but I am only picking up the cars and only when they are close by like within 1/2 mile. I don't know what a PL/DPL is sorry.

KC0QNB

Ok there are no license records for Pike City, whose security force is it? what is the security companies name, I am trying to help you out here, there are 40 licensees in PA that use 466.750 on is a detective agency that has a lot of frequencies, vhf and uhf, even a trunked system needs licenses for each frequency, as far as I know

jakell

It is I believe Vector but not sure and it is Pike County Pa, Lehman township, bushkill is the town/city

captclint

Mentor
ok I will try that freq. Someone was telling me that on some of the little walkie radios when they transmit it picks any number of freq. to transmit on.
Yes, that would indicate LTR trunking. Vector DOES use Conway LTR systems elsewhere, so I think you are closing in on it.

Last edited:

jakell

Thanks so much Capt. I will give a listen today. Thanks for all your hepl Capt and KC0QNB

captclint

Mentor
I don't know what a PL/DPL is sorry.
Your scanner does not have a tone feature(PL/DPL). If the system is trunked, it will not use one anyway. Let me know if you hear anything on those FB6 freq's, even if it is a "spitting" noise every 5-10 sec.

jakell

Well Capt I am getting the "spitting noise" but not much else but I am going to keep on trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.