Old Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbiskey

Hello To All,

I live in a older home, I think it was constructed around 1920. I have a question regarding knob and tube wiring. Is it safe or sould I replace as much of it as possible? I don't like the fact that I can see in my basement the wiring and all of the splices going here and there.

I'm not an electrican but I due know enough to wire plugs, lights, fans, switches, etc. If I were to replace the knob and tube I think I should replace the panel too. What is the best way to switch panels? Take the old completely out before putting the new in or place new somewhere else and start running new from there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

N0IU

With all due respect, if you have to ask all these questions, you need to call an electrician. Yes, you should replace your wiring and install a breaker panel. It won't be cheap, but you will be a lot safer.

N

N_Jay

You should replace it all.
I would pick up a good book on home wiring. THEN, I would find a local electrician to talk to.
After reading the book and discussing it with the electrician, you will know whether you can/want to do it (part or all) yourself.
If the home is not too big, wiring is not difficult, but there are lots of codes and requirements that seem not to make sense.
You probably also need to pull permits and have the work inspected.

N0IU

I hate to disagree (actually sometimes I quite enjoy it!), but on a project of this scale, it is a job for an electrician... period. If you do the work yourself and if your house (god forbid) burns down and the cause is found to be inadequate or improper wiring or didn't meet code, don't count on your insurance company covering the loss. If your county or municipality can not locate the permit and inspection documents, I hope you have some close friends or relatives who are willing to put you up!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Take it from a retired electrician, drawing cables through existing walls and ceilings is no picnic and you'll need some rather specialized tools plus a high frustration threshold when working with fish tape. Not only must wiring conform with the NEC but states and counties have codes all their own too, then you have to get a construction permit and have the work inspected and certified by a licensed contractor you should have hired in the first place. Wiring an entire structure is a major job not for the faint of heart especially where a service entrance is involved, there is much more to it than just slapping a breaker panel on the wall.

Last edited:

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to consider, I've been told by realtors (assuming they actually knew what they were talking about) some insurance companies will not insure a house that has any working knob and tube wiring in it.
And I agree, that this is probably not a do-it-yourself job unless you happens to be an electrician..

N

N_Jay

Well, I know several people who have does their own wiring, with appropriate permits and inspections and been very proud and confident in the results.

It is not for everyone, and not for the faint of heart, but it is also not out of the question.

foo9777

I agree with Kb2vxa...........unless you know what you are doing hire it out, electricity is nothing to take lightly. There is too much to know in this field. Size of service, does the drop need to be upgraded, new mast, panel, size of panel, breakers, amperage, SIZE OF WIRE, GROUNDING, how many outlets on a circuit, how many lights on a circuit, GCFI, Arcfault, electric range, water well..................you will have to know about amperage, watts, voltages......Most of all you need to know all codes, NEC, Local, and your power company.
So unless you are not sure 100% on what you are doing, please hire it out to a licensed electrician.

James_Bond_007

Premium Subscriber
knob and tube + old 1920's house = tinderbox going up in flames waiting to happen.

it will be very expensive, but replace every last bit of that crap with modern wiring and put in a breaker box. and if i were you i would run all the new wiring in metal conduit and seal up and weatherize the house while you are at it. you are going to have to rip apart walls to rewire the house so pay a little more to update the insulation now or really pay through the nose later.

then again i am one of those people who like to over design things to make it easier for future enhancements.

Status
Not open for further replies.