Older analog scanner vs Digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I am just getting back into scanners. I have purchased a Pro 2053. It seems to be a great scanner. I can hear some local analog signals. Most things now are digital. Maybe one day I will get a digital just have a question. Can digital scanners still pick up analog signals? I have learned the county I live in the Fire dispatch is analog I hear them page out calls but have not heard the mobile end. Used to before digital it was on a repeater on the same Frequency. I can still tell there is a repeater just cannot hear the mobile end for some reason. I have purchased a HG-Base Antenna. I have tested it inside and it did better than antenna on back. Maybe this weekend I will get the HG Antenna up got to take down a TV Antenna and put the HG antenna on the same pole. But I came here because Back in the 90's I had a very good Mobile Antenna 25 Mhz - 1.3000 Mhz. It was the magnet mount Catalog Number 20-12 $29.99. I really liked that Antenna because of the wide band coverage. I have searched and searched on ebay someone selling one and no luck. As far as the local fire being on a repeater when the dispatcher unkeys sometimes the squelch sticks not on my end that is how I know the dispatch on one but not sure why I cannot hear the mobile. Oh and one last thing I really really miss Radio Shack. I could go in and get what I want hands on and take it home the day I want it and not wait 2 or 3 days.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
yes, a digital scanner does receive analog signals. and totally agree with you abt RS.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies anyone know where I might mind that mobile Antenna I mentioned?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies anyone know where I might mind that mobile Antenna I mentioned?

At this point in time, the only place you'll likely find it is on the used market - as it is no longer made.

I also agree with you about Radio Shack. We had three of them in my area, and all three disappeared with the RS bankruptcy. :confused:

rapidcharger

I have learned the county I live in the Fire dispatch is analog I hear them page out calls but have not heard the mobile end. Used to before digital it was on a repeater on the same Frequency. I can still tell there is a repeater just cannot hear the mobile end for some reason. I have purchased a HG-Base Antenna.

How certain are you that the fire department is really analog?
The reason I ask is because a lot of the time fire departments are using analog for pagers and also have a simulcast dispatch coming from the dispatcher is in analog but they've actually gone digital. Have you looked up your county in the database?

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I hear you! I have a lot of Radio Shack scanners that I own, some digital and some analog, still hands down best digital scanner is the Pro197, now Whistler took over that model. It’s amazing to see in my area how much public safety has died over over the past 10 years. About 8 years ago the state digital trunked 800 MHz radio system came in which everyone migrated to that over the course of about 24 months. Today where I live it’s only vhf paging, the stray public works or county highway department that never switched to digital and the business band.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack is making a comeback:

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
How certain are you that the fire department is really analog?
The reason I ask is because a lot of the time fire departments are using analog for pagers and also have a simulcast dispatch coming from the dispatcher is in analog but they've actually gone digital. Have you looked up your county in the database?
I think you are right it is a simulcast dispatch. They have gone digital but still have the analog also.

Is this the antenna you are thinking about?

Yes That is the Antenna. I have purchased an Antenna not that one but one close to it. I have not tested it yet.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The 20-032 was a great antenna for those who couldn't drill their vehicle for whatever reason. I picked up a Hustler MRM scanner antenna back in 2003 and still put it to use. If you're still in the market after trying the antenna you got, I highly recommend it.

Bob1955

I am just getting back into scanners. I have purchased a Pro 2053. It seems to be a great scanner. I can hear some local analog signals. Most things now are digital. Maybe one day I will get a digital just have a question. Can digital scanners still pick up analog signals? I have learned the county I live in the Fire dispatch is analog I hear them page out calls but have not heard the mobile end. Used to before digital it was on a repeater on the same Frequency. I can still tell there is a repeater just cannot hear the mobile end for some reason. I have purchased a HG-Base Antenna. I have tested it inside and it did better than antenna on back. Maybe this weekend I will get the HG Antenna up got to take down a TV Antenna and put the HG antenna on the same pole. But I came here because Back in the 90's I had a very good Mobile Antenna 25 Mhz - 1.3000 Mhz. It was the magnet mount Catalog Number 20-12 $29.99. I really liked that Antenna because of the wide band coverage. I have searched and searched on ebay someone selling one and no luck. As far as the local fire being on a repeater when the dispatcher unkeys sometimes the squelch sticks not on my end that is how I know the dispatch on one but not sure why I cannot hear the mobile. Oh and one last thing I really really miss Radio Shack. I could go in and get what I want hands on and take it home the day I want it and not wait 2 or 3 days.
Yes, i386 Digital Scanners can receive both. In MY opinion, I would buy a Uniden Bearcat. I own the BCD-996PP2 and also a Baofeng GT-5TP transceiver.
If you hear a mobile and not that base, then your scanner is programmed on the input of the repeater, not output. Search the Radioreference.Com data base or tell us what you are trying to listen to.

BushDoctor

I have the antenna you are looking for but I still use it when necessary. However I just spoke wit5h my local radio shack He doesnt have one but will look . You can give him a call i think they close at 9 tonight but are open tomorrow The number there is 5404595111

RogerH11

If you're happy with old scanners and analog only, go buy an old 2006 or Pro 43 as they are the best ever made and can be found really cheap. Not long ago when cell phones were still analog, you couldn't find either for under $600 on Ebay.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Digital scanners can receive all the analog signals as well as digital.

In most areas, you'll need a digital-capable scanner to hear all of the local traffic.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you're happy with old scanners and analog only, go buy an old 2006 or Pro 43 as they are the best ever made and can be found really cheap. Not long ago when cell phones were still analog, you couldn't find either for under $600 on Ebay.

PRO-2006 & PRO-43's are old enough now that most will have problems and require some TLC to get them working and keep them working. I wouldn't bother with them. Get something newer with alpha-numeric display and that is computer programmable/controllable.

Radio Shack is on-line and has begun to open numerous stores across the U.S.

Radio Shack store locations:

Status
Not open for further replies.