• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Older edacs without provoice following trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxterdmutt

If I had an older EDACS without provoice and I had it programmed on a ProVoice system, would it follow the trunking commands properly. I realize I would not be able to understand anything, but would it follow the trunking properly. Would I then not be able to run that through software?

If this is a repeat question I apologize. I tried searching but nothing came up. I may not have used the correct terminology.

Thanks.

VE3RADIO

Nope, it wont... but PV radios have come down in price recently.. however in Vancouver you would need ESK and you cant program the radio properly without ESK..

baxterdmutt

Nope, it wont... but PV radios have come down in price recently.. however in Vancouver you would need ESK and you cant program the radio properly without ESK..

Hmm. I was told they were not encrypted and that only ERT were. I also read a thread elsewhere in this forum discussing that and that although the police think they are ESK but they are not.

Last edited:

baxterdmutt

Hmm. I was told they were not encrypted and that only ERT were. I also read a thread elsewhere in this forum discussing that and that although the police think they are ESK but they are not.

Oops, Sorry I thought ESK was the encryption but as I read more I realize it is not. There seems to be a lot of confusion around though. I read some posts that say provoice can't be decoded and yet their is software to decode it. Then there are post where people are discussing their trunking scanners that they don't seem to have an issue getting it to follow the provoice conversation.

If a trunking scanner can follow the provoice conversation shouldn't an edacs radio be able to follow it also, even though you wouldn't be able to understand it?

I'm confused???

VE3RADIO

Oops, Sorry I thought ESK was the encryption but as I read more I realize it is not. There seems to be a lot of confusion around though. I read some posts that say provoice can't be decoded and yet their is software to decode it. Then there are post where people are discussing their trunking scanners that they don't seem to have an issue getting it to follow the provoice conversation.

If a trunking scanner can follow the provoice conversation shouldn't an edacs radio be able to follow it also, even though you wouldn't be able to understand it?

I'm confused???

ESK = Edacs System Key - this is a hardware dongle that attaches to the computer that programs the radio. ENC is encryption and I am sure it is on only a few select channels. A old 246 scanner can follow the traffic but will NOT decode the audio.. you would need DSD software and a tapped scanner or a real provoice radio...

baxterdmutt

ESK = Edacs System Key - this is a hardware dongle that attaches to the computer that programs the radio. ENC is encryption and I am sure it is on only a few select channels. A old 246 scanner can follow the traffic but will NOT decode the audio.. you would need DSD software and a tapped scanner or a real provoice radio...

Thanks. That still leaves me confused. If a trunking scanner can follow the traffic, why wouldn't an actually edacs radio? I understand it would not translate provoice. I can find cheap edacs and I'm only interested in 1 talkgroup.

VE3RADIO

Thanks. That still leaves me confused. If a trunking scanner can follow the traffic, why wouldn't an actually edacs radio? I understand it would not translate provoice. I can find cheap edacs and I'm only interested in 1 talkgroup.

I dont know... it just wont... I have tried with AEGIS LPE200 to track a PV Talkgroup and no dice.

On the control channel, the assignment for an analog call is different to the assignment for a digital call, so the analog only radio will simply not "see" the digital assignments.

And yes, Vancouver's system uses encryption on top of ProVoice, so you'd not hear anything even if you had a PV radio. Sorry....

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As far as ESK is concerned, it's main job is to prevent unauthorized radios from being able to join the system and listen in. Some people see this as a way of encrypting the control channel, but it really was just a different way for the system to authorize radios. So the scanner manufacturers like Uniden and GRE were able to update their radios to work with ESK, but a 'real' radio won't because it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do... prevent an unauthorized radio from being used. The only way around it would be to hack the firmware in the radio somehow and I don't imagine that would be an easy task.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
as I understand it your scanner filters out provoice / digital and only allows reg trunk traffic to be processed.
a 'discriminator tap' taps the signal before the filter and can send the provoice/digital into a computer, which may decode with the dsd software.
a stand-alone scanner can not do provoice.

Status
Not open for further replies.