Older Regency Scanner Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest1001

I have a Regency Touch K500 Scanner that I found in my basement. It was likely my grandfather's as I live in my grandparents house. When I first turned it on it worked fine with no problem. In a hurry to see if it would function I grabbed a piece of wire I had around to use as an antenna. With one end of this 'antenna' inserted in the proper spot the other exposed end of the wire came in contact with the rear metal casing of the scanner and sparked. After this occured the scanner no longer powered on and continues not to work. I'm not very electrically educated, but I believe I must have shorted out the system. Does anybody have any ideas of what may have happened and how I might attempt to fix it? I would really like to put this scanner in operation and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ernie

Highpockets

I have a Regency Touch K500 Scanner that I found in my basement. It was likely my grandfather's as I live in my grandparents house. When I first turned it on it worked fine with no problem. In a hurry to see if it would function I grabbed a piece of wire I had around to use as an antenna. With one end of this 'antenna' inserted in the proper spot the other exposed end of the wire came in contact with the rear metal casing of the scanner and sparked. After this occured the scanner no longer powered on and continues not to work. I'm not very electrically educated, but I believe I must have shorted out the system. Does anybody have any ideas of what may have happened and how I might attempt to fix it? I would really like to put this scanner in operation and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ernie

I don't know if this will help, but, you can read it.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/relm-regency-wilson/pdfs/regency-touch-k500.pdf

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I see what you did, you did NOT put the wire in the proper spot. The RCA or Motorola jack (don't remember which) is the proper spot, the red blade socket is an external +12VDC input with the bare blade below it being -12V ground. Here's what happened, that blade is live as long as the unit is plugged into 115VAC mains and you shorted the 12VDC main power supply bus to ground but with any luck all you did was blow an internal fuse or foil track on the board, a pretty easy fix. The above link unfortunately won't help you there, the user manual makes no mention of an AC fuse, only one in the DC cord so removing the cover and visual inspection is the first order of the day.

BTW, that socket comes in very handy for supplying battery backup power. Being live all the time (the ON-OFF switch is between it and the main board) it can keep a gel battery charged so should the mains power fail the scanner won't even notice. Hey, it worked for me. (;->)

Last edited:

Ernest1001

Problem Resolved!

Thank you for the information you gave me. The wire antenna probably touched that charged DC slot. I opened up the scanner and found a fuse that was obviously blown by the looks of it, which I replaced. Thank you again! It now works wonderfully. I just need to find a nice place for it and program it with some important fire frequencies and amateur radio repeater freqencies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh you're quite welcome, you got lucky being we just stumbled across each other and I just happen to have just a little experience with the beast. Hmmm, if you're not going to use the DC connection I suggest you put a piece of tape over it. (;->)

apd3190

Nice job KB2.. Thats what its all about..Helping your fellow listener. Im sure Ernest1001 will get addicted like the rest of us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.