Older RS handhelds battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

I just bought a Pro 43 (in person) and the seller also included new alkalines in the unit. Is it ok to buy NiMH batteries or should I stick with NiCads as per the owners manual ? I do have an AC adapter, but these alkies ain't gonna last forever !

MarkWestin

Hello,

I still have my PRO 43, which I bought new, and I only use NiMh batteries in it. I have never charged any batteries in the scanner, even though I have the AC adapter for it. I always have used an external battery charger.

I had one way back when that would charge six NiCd batteries at once (long gone).

You could use a MaHa MHC-777Plus-II (universal) (about $68.97) to charge them in one of the RS Battery holders, or better yet get a MaHa MHC801-D (8AA Batteries at once) (about $69.97). I use two MH-C401FS chargers. (4 AA batteries each) (about $34.97 each)

The PRO 43 was a great scanner for the time that it was made, and is still a great scanner now.

I have observed that battery life is almost linear to battery capacity. As an example, 600 mah (NiCd) batteries lasted about 6 hours per charge, and 2300 mah (NiMh) batteries last about 23 hours per charge.

Mark

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
pathalogical said:
I just bought a Pro 43 (in person) and the seller also included new alkalines in the unit. Is it ok to buy NiMH batteries or should I stick with NiCads as per the owners manual ?
I think the Pro-43 manual specifies NiCds because NiMH batteries weren't widely available (if at all) when the '43 came out.

In 35+ years of using rechargeable batteries in scanners, I've never once had a problem with damage to my scanner, but after reading others' experiences and the possibility of damage, I've changed my ways and now do all my recharging in stand-alone chargers.

I realize it's "heresy" in some circles, but for about a year I've been using "I-C3" (In-Cell Charge Control) 2000 mAh 15-minute rechargeable NiMH batteries, both Ray-O-Vac and Radio Shack branded without ANY problems whatsoever. You can see my previous post about them at http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=279925&postcount=3

vmishg80

I'd go with the 15min recharger plan. That's what I use and I get very good run time out of a charge on my Pro-43. In addition to my other scanners, the Pro-43 is an awesome little unit and with a creative mind, it has more to offer... Use the RS 15min fast charger !!!

pathalogical

Thanks all for the replies. I had been eyeing a 43 for its milair capabilities for when the airshow is in town. NiMH with separate charger is quite expensive but will check the stores for prices. I rarely take my radios out of the house so I think I may stick with NiCads especially for in-radio charging. This radio was a fluke find here in town. I met the seller in person. He's mostly into shortwave, but said he has a Pro 2051 for air band, ole 43 was just sitting there unused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.