Older USB driver for BC246T

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

I have an older style USB cable for my 246T and have lost the original driver a few years ago and I wanted to download the current configuration and save it. I also wanted to do a full reset but don't want to lose this configuration. It appears that the cable has changed and now uses a much different driver and I can't find the original one. Google search shows a few driver update web sites that might archive this, but I'm very skeptical about these services...nice way to end up malware or worse. Anyone have the older driver for Win Xp or know where to find it? Thanks in advance.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What specific cable do you have? What specific operating system are you running?

Uniden has only sold two versions (although they look identical) both using Prolific chipsets...for which you can download drivers directly from their web site. The first version does not work with the latest drivers due to anti-counterfeit measures Prolific has added to their drivers and newer chipsets.

Drivers and utilities specifically for the Prolific PL2303 chipsets can be found at Products

If you have a different cable or adapter, the above may or may not apply, depending on chipset used.

John_S

This is one of the very early versions of the radio...purchased in 2004 I think. Uniden didn't even have straight USB to USB capability at the time...we were trying to make do with serial to USB at the time. And I can remember you getting on the Yahoo 246 group early on and after a short while, you guys worked out the USB thing. And everyone rejoiced. This cable is that early one...USB to USB, with the odd little connector on the radio end...never seen another like it. Yes, this is one of those tech support from hell things...trying to find support for a 10 year old radio, but I would like to put it back in service. I had used the Yahoo group in the past, but with Yahoo's security issues in the last few months I dropped my accounts there. Paul, the OS is Win Xp 32 bit....a little long in the tooth, but the machine plays well and will be a good back up for the Win7 machine I'm building.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There was no other version of the BC246T. It has never had native USB connectivity. Drivers do not apply to it at all, they apply only to the converter cable you are using to convert USB to RS232 used by the scanner. Without knowing what cable it is, it is impossible to provide specific instructions.

Is it this one? USB Cable for all Uniden DMA Scanners

Or, are you using a USB adapter and plugging the original RS232 cable into it? (original RS232 cable is Serial Cable For Uniden Scanners).

Status
Not open for further replies.