Oldie but goodie BC245xlt setup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhouse55

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I just picked up this scanner the other day and have just broke the ice on programming it manually. I have all my frequencies programmed in for my area of Pasco County, FL. When the scanner is running, I see the AFS talk group info (12-042,12-043 etc) but will it display all of the ones I see listed on the site that are associated with those frequencies I put in? Or do I have to manually program them all in?

Also,
I see the other frequencies available in the 400mhz range such as hospitals, etc. I understand those would be UHF, but are those not trunking frequencies? My goal would be to have the trunking frequencies on Bank 1, then also have it search the 400mhz frequencies at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You should be able to scan in an "open" or "search" mode and it will receive all the talk groups in that system (it's been a long time since I used one of those).

If you scan in "closed" mode it will only stop on those you have programmed.

Those UHF frequencies are not trunked they are conventional. Trunked system are shown at the bottom of the page.

Also note that that scanner does not support rebanding, so if you want to monitor a system that has been rebanded you may miss some transmissions.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually the correct terminology would be;

ID Search shows every talkgroup and ignores any scan list for talkgroups
ID Scan only shows those talkgroups you program

And if you want to manually enter these EDACS talkgroups substitute the decimal point for the dash

Mike

N8IAA

jhouse55, remember that the 245 is not a Control Channel Only scanner. You need to make sure that all frequencies are entered, and in LCN order. Also, follow what Mike posted. It makes it easier to follow the TGID's.
Larry

N8IAA

Also,I see the other frequencies available in the 400mhz range such as hospitals, etc. I understand those would be UHF, but are those not trunking frequencies? My goal would be to have the trunking frequencies on Bank 1, then also have it search the 400mhz frequencies at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Jeff, the trunk system needs to be in its own bank. The 400MHz frequencies need to be in another bank.
As to simultaneously scanning both banks at the same time, no. It will scan one, then the other bank. If there is traffic on the EDACS system, the scanner stays there until it is done receiving a signal. Then moves onto the next bank.
Larry

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The 245XLT can have trunked frequencies and conventional in the same bank. It will scan the trunk system first and when no activity appears it will move on to the conventional frequencies. They call it Multi-Track and added the feature to help save memory space over other scanners that did not allow mixing of trunk and conventional.

Page 55

RogerH11

Remember that it holds on to the CC for 5 seconds so it's pretty worthless as a conv scanner too because you will miss a lot and it would be hard to follow any conv traffic other than a dispatch channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.