Olds RCMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels-2019

Approximately 11 o'clock today, the RCMP has switched over to the new system and can no longer be heard on the old scanner :-( and the RCMP is encrypted so you can't hear them no matter what.
Correct?

wheels-2019

The new Olds RCMP talk group on AFRRCS should be somewhere between 2845 and 2857. Watch for Radio Id's starting with 444.

So what do you mean that the Olds RCMP talk group on AFRRCS? Does that mean that you can hear them, or is it just people talking about them? Sorry I just don't understand all this world.

Does anybody know if Banff Fire Department has switched over to AFRRCS and can they be picked up so a person can listen to as well? Or are they encrypted?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The RCMP talkgroups are indeed encrypted but some scanners will let you hear the "encrypted audio" (essentially noise - sounds like R2D2 is drunk), or a tone indicating there's an encrypted conversation going on. Some people run software like Unitrunker or PRO96COM with a spare scanner or RTL-SDR receiver, which allows you to monitor the trunked control channel and see what activity is going on on the tower site.

As far as I know Banff FD is still on their VHF analog system, unencrypted. Canmore is on AFRRCS unencrypted.

wheels-2019

So if you hear a lot of noise, you know they're getting dispatched or something. But nothing very logical to say "hey you got an accident on Highway 2"

And, if I had a 2nd scanner and used 1 of those 2 software options you could hear what they're talking about? Even though it's encrypted

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You won't hear it but you will see the channels that are in use. No sound, just text display.

Status
Not open for further replies.