Omaha P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Has anyone heard any Private Call (Icalls) on the Omaha system?
I know Sarpy encrypts theirs. I don't think Douglas county or Omaha encrypts their private calls. I think they just don't us it.

Yokoshibu

more reason to listen to omaha... I dont listen to them now but I should .. hey is sarpy using ambe?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Sarpy IMBE

Yokoshibu said:
hey is sarpy using ambe?

Sarpy currently utilizes IMBE, as well as DES encryption methods on their I-Calls I believe.

43g70

Private Call is not used a lot on the Omaha System but Sarpy does use it quite a bit.

You can almost ask any Small volunteer fire dept or police dept in Douglas and they can not make the private calls.

Ask a Sarpy command level user of public safety variety, and they have secure private call capable.

43g70

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
The system won't allow it. =)
Yes it does;)
If it didn't why would the dispatch consoules have a spot labeled private calls? They can click on a submenu and click on any radio ID on the system.

My friend showed me how it works:D

SCPD

QRT
43g70 said:
You can almost ask any Small volunteer fire dept or police dept in Douglas and they can not make the private calls.
43g70
Yes they can. They just choose not to.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
Yes they can. They just choose not to.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You mean to tell me that with all the people who have county radios they all choose not to make a private call? Please. It won't allow it. I don't care if something is labeled Private Call or not. You've already seen a lot of the other problems your consoles cannot do, or people have a lack of knowledge.

SCPD

QRT
This system does allow it and EVERYONE CAN. It does work.:twisted:
My friend use the private call to "call" the portable that was in the fire dispatch. He showed me how to answer it. I talk to him with that portable. The users may not know how to use it. The only people that I know of that keep their portables and the end of their shift is the sheriff's deputies. I don't think anybody in the county gets a take home car. I know OPD and DCSO do not have any take home cars. The user probably doesn't know what radio ID to call because they usually don't have the same radio.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
The LT and SGTs take their radios home at night too. Again you're right this could be a training issue, albeit I find that hard to believe since we train rather well right? Um yeah.

Why don't we hear that many more I-Calls then? I would think if they knew they had this feature a lot more of it would be used. We both know that.

SCPD

QRT
Also their policy might have something to do with it. ALL service calls are dispatch via the radio and MDT. They cannot be dispatch by MDT along like in some agencies. Their communications policy may not allow them to use the private call feature, but they have the capability to do it.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Who other than someone with a system watcher or radio maintenance would know they're even making a private call? As long as the car's radio was on the right talk group and affiliated, dispatch wouldn't care where the portable went to. I believe you would hear more private calls if it worked correctly and the system would allow it.

Now I have a new question about Private Calls. Since the radio would not be on a TGID and you don't need every radio's ID on your portable to receive a private call. If someone were to get their hands on a radio and oh I dunno, program it up to the Douglas System would it allow the user to make a private call?

Do end users have the ability to make private calls off the system as well? This would allow a person to bypass the system key.

SCPD

QRT
NeFire242 said:
If someone were to get their hands on a radio and oh I dunno, program it up to the Douglas System would it allow the user to make a private call?
No it will not work. You would need a PROPER radio ID and you would have to know the other radio's ID. With a P25 system if you do not have a proper radio ID the system will not let you affiliate with the system. You can't even use it to listen to the system. I heard that if you try to use a radio without a proper ID the system will erase everything in the radio memory.

NeFire242 said:
Do end users have the ability to make private calls off the system as well? This would allow a person to bypass the system key.
Yes if the radio are programmed right and they know the other radio's ID.

In dispatch they have a list on the consoles with the radio ID's and all they have to do is click on it. They are labeled like "CAR112" for OPD car 112, for fire "ENGINE44" etc. so it is easier for them to make private calls than the end user. The dispatcher can get in trouble if they get caught doing it.

I'll tell you more about this if I get the job that I'm applying for with company that maintains the system.:D

W0JJK

Without a display on a Tier One portable, I wonder how they look at their list to call?

The Tier Two portable can only do a list call because of lack of the number keypad. So you can't just dial up a person who is not in your list.

W0JJK

SCPD

QRT
All of the portables that I have seen have been XTS500 Model 3.
They still can use their mobile radios to do private calls.
Yes this system does support it.
I heard a private call, short one, while driving to work around 1430.

W0JJK

So there is users who have that ability to "private" call? I bet that was interesting to hear.

So you applied at OPPD for a job?

W0JJK

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
W0JJK said:
So there is users who have that ability to "private" call? I bet that was interesting to hear.
It was really short. I could hear them talking in the clear and it was a private call. Unknown what agency though.

W0JJK said:
So you applied at OPPD for a job?W0JJK

No. Mobile Communications.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
Mobile Communications.

Oh dear god. I can taste blood I'm biting my tongue so hard. Um, Nate. How shall I put this. Rethink your options bro. Big time. :(

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
W0JJK said:
So you can't just dial up a person who is not in your list.

See if Motorola is reading this.. think voice dial and voice commands. Oooooooh

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
With a P25 system if you do not have a proper radio ID the system will not let you affiliate with the system. You can't even use it to listen to the system. I heard that if you try to use a radio without a proper ID the system will erase everything in the radio memory.

I would venture to say there are probably a few rogue radios on the DC system between hackers, and most likely a few disgruntled employees.

In order for the system to "erase the memory" of the radio, wouldn't it have to have that radio's ID?

Think you could probably program a radio up fairly easy. Use system watcher, grab a radio ID from there. Then program it from say an ID from the Media TGID. This way the radio admin people think it's just a media user. From there you could start jumping to different TGs.

Is there any way to initiate a patch via a portable / mobile then?

Wonder what would happen if there were two IDs on the system at the same time. Go with the one who affliated the last, or go after both? It would probably confuse the controller nonetheless. It would be fun to build a small system like that at the Moto labs and try stuff like this out and other theories just to see if you can kill the system or the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.