omg what'd i just do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devja71

hi everyone, new guy here. i have a pro 106 for the last 8 months and like it good, i just got the butel software cd at radioshack today that covers the 106, gre 500 etc, installed it plugged it in and it doesn't recognize anything. all fields are blank and to make it worse my scanner itself is blank too. when i unplug it and turn the volume full i can hear a barely audible noise so i know there's power but that's all. no light no display nothing. pls help thanks much

frazpo

hi everyone, new guy here. i have a pro 106 for the last 8 months and like it good, i just got the butel software cd at radioshack today that covers the 106, gre 500 etc, installed it plugged it in and it doesn't recognize anything. all fields are blank and to make it worse my scanner itself is blank too. when i unplug it and turn the volume full i can hear a barely audible noise so i know there's power but that's all. no light no display nothing. pls help thanks much

How did you program it before? Use the correct cable? Is there a hard reset on that model?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Which port on the scanner did you plug the cable into? The headphone jack on top, or the PCIF jack on the right side of the scanner?

rwier

It's difficult to tell what you might have done wrong, if anything. I can only describe what I would call ":normal" behavior of the radio.

I have a 500 that sets near my computer and is scanning pretty much 24/7/365. It also has the old white cable connected to the highest hole on the right side of the scanner. This cable goes to a computer USB port. I leave this cable attached at all times.

Normal for me is:

The only time the radio stops scanning is when some "software" is transferring data, either "to the scanner" or "from the scanner". This takes about 10 seconds for a full transfer.

Just plugging in, and unplugging the cable from the scanner, had absolutely no effect on scanning. There isn't even a connect/disconnect "beep" from the computer.

Rob

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I believe (not completely sure) there has been at least one report on here of suspected temporary, or even permanent damage done to the scanner by connecting the cable to the wrong port on the scanner.

In your post you mentioned that there is no light or any image at all on the screen now. When you first turn it on now - *without the cable connected* - does the light come on, even briefly, at that time, and do you see the "Welcome" screen as soon as it boots up?

Last edited:

devja71

actually i bought it new and it was programmed from the factory, likely not too up-to-date but it indeed worked as it should. most times i just leave it on public safety (long distance truck driver so i don't really keep it on 1 county or anything) so i've never programmed it before until now. there is the headphone 3.5mm on the top and the pc/if port on the side, i didn't use the headphone jack by mistake. but yes i still turn it on unplugged and there's no welcome screen or display, or any sign of life of ANY sort exept for a slight bit of hiss when the volume is cranked. i have a bad feeling about this

devja71

just found part of the problem, i wiggled the battery cartridge and the scanner is working again, it's never done that before (i'm away from my power cord right now and i hardly ever use the batteries) but when i plug it into the laptop and start the software, the software itself is non-responsive, all fields are reading zero as if it's not hooked up. but at least the scanner is working, i thought i might have fried it

Status
Not open for further replies.