Omni X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Diamond D130 discone antenna. I'm not really happy with the results. I actually thought it would perform better. I've heard a lot about the Omni X and considering putting one up. I listen mostly from 120-500Mhz. I really don't want to buy a VHF and a UHF along with Diplexers ect. I'm wondering if the Omni X would be better fit for me than the Discone antenna. The antenna is about eight feet above my roof on a mast running about 60' of LMR 240 cable. Any thoughts???

dwyatt1

Premium Subscriber
I have had my Omni-X hooked up to my BCT15X since May '21 and have had no complaints. The Omni seems to be no better or worse than the MFJ VHF/UHF antenna I had on the mast before but that was also with different coax in play, so I am not sure if I am comparing Apples to Oranges. I too am using LMR 240 at around 43ft.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I had a DIY groundplane for VHF high in my window in a second story window with about 20ft of LMR 240! The addition of an Omni X made a noticeable difference. I use the NOAA 162 mhz weather stations as my reference. Additionally it made a big difference in my air band monitoring...
I've moved out of the city and the Omni X is performing very well on airband, VHF HI, mil air and uhf ham stuff...I don't transmit on it, only receive.

MDScanFan

Personally I would not spend the money on the Omni-X. Across that frequency span the D130J will provide more stable gain along the horizon than the Omni-X. And the gain of the Omni-X will be within a dB or so compared to the discone for the frequencies it is designed to cover.

Better coax would not gain you too much in this situation. Only around a dB.

In order of suggestion I would recommend:
- Trying to further elevate the discone. This should help more than an antenna change.
- Try an FM bandstop filter inline between at the input to your radio

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I am certainly open to any suggestions and appreciate the input. I really don't know anything about a FM bandstop filter. What's it's purpose in it helping me and where can one be purchased if it would?

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I also have two scanners a foot apart. My Pro2067 picks up some stating from my BCD996P2. If I stop scanning on the BCD, the static disappears on the Pro 2067. The same kind of noise you used to hear on your am radio in the car when you accelerated for us older listeners.

MDScanFan

Are they connected to the same antenna? If so, what are you using to split the signal?

I also have two scanners a foot apart. My Pro2067 picks up some stating from my BCD996P2. If I stop scanning on the BCD, the static disappears on the Pro 2067. The same kind of noise you used to hear on your am radio in the car when you accelerated for us older listeners.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
With what appears to be no isolation based on the post, I figure the OP is using a simple T connector. Thus, the interference and poor receive signal. Perhaps connect the discone directly to a single scanner and see how much it improves.

@Rawkee1 - By the way, what did you use for an antenna before and was it also above your roofline? How are your two scanners getting power?

Additionally...

1. The OP, like many others, probably should use an FM broadcast filter inline on the coaxial cable. FM broadcast stations use a high amount of wattage that can significantly interfere with receiving signals. Yes, FM broadcast stations on 88~108 MHz can interfere with VHF and UHF frequencies. An FM filter costs anywhere from under $20 to around $100. See the link to the thread in my signature below.

2. Use LMR-400 and it will reduce your coaxial cable losses. I would put an FM filter inline first as that may fix things to your satisfaction.

3. Additional RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) can be caused by strong signals from paging systems around 152 MHz. NOAA WX signals around 162 MHz, or by AC wall warts in the home, or various electronic devices. If that is also an issue, filters can be purchased to help resolve/reduce that RFI. Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

4. The eight foot height above your roofline should be fine, as long as there are not any nearby structures that are above that antenna. My neighbor has a two story house, so my antennas are above her roofline.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
With what appears to be no isolation based on the post, I figure the OP is using a simple T connector. Thus, the interference and poor receive signal. Perhaps connect the discone directly to a single scanner and see how much it improves.

@Rawkee1 - By the way, what did you use for an antenna before and was it also above your roofline? How are your two scanners getting power?

Additionally...

1. The OP, like many others, probably should use an FM broadcast filter inline on the coaxial cable. FM broadcast stations use a high amount of wattage that can significantly interfere with receiving signals. Yes, FM broadcast stations on 88~108 MHz can interfere with VHF and UHF frequencies. An FM filter costs anywhere from under $20 to around $100. See the link to the thread in my signature below.

2. Use LMR-400 and it will reduce your coaxial cable losses. I would put an FM filter inline first as that may fix things to your satisfaction.

3. Additional RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) can be caused by strong signals from paging systems around 152 MHz. NOAA WX signals around 162 MHz, or by AC wall warts in the home, or various electronic devices. If that is also an issue, filters can be purchased to help resolve/reduce that RFI. Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

4. The eight foot height above your roofline should be fine, as long as there are not any nearby structures that are above that antenna. My neighbor has a two story house, so my antennas are above her roofline.

To answer your question Vagrant, I installed a D D130 next to an antenna that was already up there for Railroad receiving. I always had antennas above the peak on a mast. There is no splitter because I have two LMR 240 antenna leads coming down for each radio. It's weird because sometimes when in climate weather approaches, when the radio that receives police calls UHF, the weather service will come over the railroad radio fading in and out like skip on a CB radio.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I also failed to mention both antennas are on the mast of a two story colonial home. It's about 800' above sea level. The antennas are approximately 40' above the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.