Omnidirectional antenna choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Going to throw one of these up this year and give it a whirl.
Already have a Yagi 700/800 which is outstanding just have another digital scanner I want to add
Deciding which one to purchase.
I monitor between 770-855 MHz
Would going with the higher gain antenna be your choice ?
Would be mast mounted about 35 feet

UHF BASE ANTENNA, 760-830 MHz, 6dBd, FIBERGLASS, N FEMALE, MOUNT NOT INCLUDED | eBay

UHF BASE ANTENNA, 800-850 MHz, 9dBd, FIBERGLASS, N FEMALE, MOUNT NOT INCLUDED | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Nice gain figures on the second one in the list, but gosh it's pricey. For receive only use where a transmitter isn't being protected I would look around the web and get the info to build a vertical with the same gain. Materials should cost somewhere around $20 to $30 at most. Either way, having it 35' up should do a good job.

Ubbe

If the antenna you already have are outstanding and you only wish to add another scanner, why not split the signal to two scanners? Use an amplifier to boost the signal and then a variable attenuator and a splitter. If you put a low-noise high signal capable amplifier at the antenna and power it from the coax you'll gain even more. That's more or less a $75 solution and will improve a couple of dB of the signal as scanners noise figures are not that great compared to a low-noise amp.

But I guess you'll want to recieve more transmitters and can use an omni antenna as the new scanner are a simulcast capable one.
The higher gain antenna are not that much more costly but have less bandwidth but would anyhow probably have the same gain as the lower gain antenna at the end of the frequency range. It looks as if they can customise the antenna to the center frequency of your choise. If that is done without any extra cost then try and see what frequencies that you would like to monitor that will be the weakest and most important to you and move the center frequency towards those so that they will fall within the 9dBd bandwidth.

/Ubbe

prcguy

The Childs antennas look ok to me and quite a bargain. Get something like a true 9dBd 800 omni from any of the other major mfrs and you will spend about 10X as much. On either version, you would be operating slightly outside its specs so expect some degradation and maybe a little up tilt or down tilt.

hsdtech

It's fairly easy to build your own gain antenna like that. It looks to be just a colinear vertical which are 1/4 wave elements attached vertically. There are calculators online where you can input the frequency and it will give you the dimensions of the elements you need.
I think the easiest way is to build a vertical colinear out of coax. Simple and cheap.

prcguy

A colinear is usually made of half wave elements made of coax or wire, or 5/8 wave elements made of wire with a 1/4 wave phase reversing stub between each element. They are not hard to make if you have plans to follow but good luck designing your own.

It's fairly easy to build your own gain antenna like that. It looks to be just a colinear vertical which are 1/4 wave elements attached vertically. There are calculators online where you can input the frequency and it will give you the dimensions of the elements you need.
I think the easiest way is to build a vertical colinear out of coax. Simple and cheap.

hsdtech

A colinear is usually made of half wave elements made of coax or wire, or 5/8 wave elements made of wire with a 1/4 wave phase reversing stub between each element. They are not hard to make if you have plans to follow but good luck designing your own.

LOL. My man, I didn't post about specifics of the antenna, only generalizing. The point is that the OP could build his own gain antenna cheaply without having to spend that rediculous amount of money on those antennas in his links.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
LOL. My man, I didn't post about specifics of the antenna, only generalizing. The point is that the OP could build his own gain antenna cheaply without having to spend that rediculous amount of money on those antennas in his links.

If ya think $100+ is a ridiculous amount you’re a cheap man in a expensive hobby.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
If ya think $100+ is a ridiculous amount you’re a cheap man in a expensive hobby.

I thought the hobby was supposed to be about learning about the the technology and how it works more-so than about the money aspect of things?

I don't think that "Smart" should be confused with "Cheap", or better, Smart should be conflated with spending lot's of money.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
I thought the hobby was supposed to be about learning about the the technology and how it works more-so than about the money aspect of things?

I don't think that "Smart" should be confused with "Cheap", or better, Smart should be conflated with spending lot's of money.

Maybe that’s your thought not mine.
If I was worried about money I wouldn’t have any hobbies at all.
I spent thousands of dollars on new Technology,golf clubs being one,you wouldn’t see me using a wooden stick.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Lucky [emoji256]
Someone might freak out if you would’ve left them expensive Campbell’s soup labels on them cans.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone purchased and or swept one of these antennas the OP noted, or any other band antenna that eBay store offers?

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone purchased and or swept one of these antennas the OP noted, or any other band antenna that eBay store offers?

Been looking for anyone who had experience with that seller myself.
I have yet to find one.
This spring I going to buy one and test it out.
Mostly likely the 800-850MHz 9dBd
Hell its only money right.

Status
Not open for further replies.