OmniX Multi Band Scanner Model Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rilke67

Premium Subscriber
I am considering purchasing this antenna. I reside in Alamogordo New Mexico and monitor Holloman AFB and WSMR which are on a digital trunk system but also monitor military aviation in the area. I am currently using a Radio Shack Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna Model: 20-176 which is working ok but am wondering if there is anything to gain by switching to the DPD antenna. DPD Productions - Scanner / Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

Thanks to all in advance and Merry Christmas.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I'm also considering the same thing; replacing a 20-176 with an Omni-X, and am wondering how good it will be on 150-160 MHz and Mil-Air compared to the 20-176.

That 20-176 is a pretty good antenna considering you can find it for $20 at many Radioshack stores, but I think the wind has finally blown it over and broke it in enough places that its time to upgrade (you have no idea how hard its blowing in Bama right now).:)

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's an affordable, quality built antenna that more then serves it's stated purpose. Dave, the owner is also a member here. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

FLRAILMAN

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
A DPD Omni-X is my main antenna. i've never used the RS model you mentioned, but I have often compared the OmniX to my Antennacraft ST-2. The ST-2 does better on low-band VHF (30-50), as I would expect it to. The OmniX does very well on VHF, but the ST-2 edges it out just a hair. The Omni-X does much better on UHF and 800 Mhz than the ST-2.

It all depends on what band you prefer to have better coverage on. If you need VHF-Lo (30-50) performance, your best bet is to get antenna that is known to perform well in that range. Otherwise I think you'd be quite happy with the performance of the OmniX.

the OmniX is terminated with an N-connector, so you'll have to make sure you are able to connect your coax to it by having the appropriate connector on your coax or buy an adaptor.

Mike

elrod

I bought an omni x 2 weeks ago, but the the weather here in Chicagoland has been to crappy to do anything with it. I guess I will have to wait till spring.

jgodeker

I've had a OmniX for over a year now, it's very well built and takes a beating from the weather and holds up very well, good reception. I will buy another OmniX when my scantenna gives out. It well worth the money in my opinion.

J.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Just put up my Omni-X today. So far it is outperforming the 20-176 it replaced and the ST-2 that sits on the same mast. I'm also pretty sure it will outlast both!

Status
Not open for further replies.