OmniX Scanner Base Antenna or MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861 for Uniden SDS200

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Uniden SDS200 and am conflicted between the DPD OmniX Scanner Base Antenna or MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861.
Which one should I get?

OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

https://www.mpantenna.com/product/uhf-vhf-antenna-08-ant-0861
The MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861 is basically a dual band amateur radio antenna for 2-Meter, 220 & 440 Bands (Transmit), even though they also claim it is a wide-band receive antenna. That is an indication those are the bands/frequencies it is tuned for.
According the the link I found it cost $112.95. I'd say it's not a good choice.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Uniden SDS200 and am conflicted between the DPD OmniX Scanner Base Antenna or MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861.
Which one should I get?

OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

https://www.mpantenna.com/product/uhf-vhf-antenna-08-ant-0861
The tuned bands/frequencies for both the DPD OmniX and MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF are very similar. If military aircraft is your priority I would recommend the MilTenna Omni. If general coverage scanning (especially in the 700-800 MHz public safety bands are your priority I would go with the DPD OmniX which should meet most of your needs very well.

N9JIG

Sheriff
That's weird, where did you get that price from?

Their website is showing it at $112.95
You are looking at a different antenna, the one the OP is mentioning is the 0861, the one you found is the 0863; see MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861 - Wideband Receive Base Antennas | The Antenna Farm

The 0861 has 6x8 elements, the 0863 as 3/4 elements (half as many).

Would be nice to see how much the 08-ANT-0861 is without having to request a quote. I'd assume a bit more than the OmniX...
The manufacturer's site probably is pointed at dealers rather than retail customers, thus one gets a quote based on quantity and shipping. The Antenna Farm is geared towards the retail customer and offers a direct price.

As for the OP's question: I have used the Omni-X and it was OK, nothing spectacular. It is certainly well-built but was out-performed by my ST-2 for sure. I have not used the 0863 or 0861 models myself but have heard from others that they perform well but no direct comparisons between them and the Omni-X. I would surmise that they are more omni-directional than the Omni-X due to the layout.

prcguy

I'm using an MP 08-ANT-0861 right now on a Harris multiband radio (transmit and receive) and it works well on VHF/UHF and its broad band with a good match everywhere just like any Discone. And just like any Discone made for scanner use its noticeably down in performance in the 700/800/900MHz range, which is not a concern for me but will be for others.

One very slight advantage the MP might have over a regular Discone is a little less fluttering on mobile signals and I have not completely proved the claims of "spatial diversity" but it does seem to do better on some mobile and hand held signals in my hilly area with slightly less flutter.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You are looking at a different antenna, the one the OP is mentioning is the 0861, the one you found is the 0863; see MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861 - Wideband Receive Base Antennas | The Antenna Farm

The 0861 has 6x8 elements, the 0863 as 3/4 elements (half as many).

The manufacturer's site probably is pointed at dealers rather than retail customers, thus one gets a quote based on quantity and shipping. The Antenna Farm is geared towards the retail customer and offers a direct price.

As for the OP's question: I have used the Omni-X and it was OK, nothing spectacular. It is certainly well-built but was out-performed by my ST-2 for sure. I have not used the 0863 or 0861 models myself but have heard from others that they perform well but no direct comparisons between them and the Omni-X. I would surmise that they are more omni-directional than the Omni-X due to the layout.
Thanks. I see that now. Not sure how that happened, that's what Google found when I did a cut & paste earlier. :oops:

Ubbe

The MP antenna looks to be a discone type and have added several vertical elements. What they mean by spatial diversity are that it can receive the signal using the discone part and it can receive using the vertical elements. Usually when you have a vertical element on top of a discone the two received signals will be 1/4 wave out of phase. By instead having a vertical element at the end of the horisontal discone elements the signal will be delayed more or less the same amount as the discone signal and they will be added together. It will be like combining two antennas that are positioned at different wavelenghts to the signal source and could improve reception when you get the picket fence phenomena from a moving signal source.

/Ubbe

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I had my SDS200 hooked up to a discone antenna for a few months. I thought the scanner was broken. When I had some time off last fall I put up an Omni X and it lit up my scanner like crazy. 800MHz is particularly solid. Not the least expensive antenna out there but it does work well.

Ensure you use good coax!! Def key part of a good antenna "system". #LMR-400UF

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I had my SDS200 hooked up to a discone antenna for a few months. I thought the scanner was broken. When I had some time off last fall I put up an Omni X and it lit up my scanner like crazy. 800MHz is particularly solid. Not the least expensive antenna out there but it does work well.

Ensure you use good coax!! Def key part of a good antenna "system". #LMR-400UF
This all day. I replaced a Sirrio discone for that Omni X. I pick up a ton more in all directions.