On-glass antenna loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden 396 that I want to use in my vehicle. I have the option of using either an on-glass antenna having the SMA connector, or a magnetic mount with a BNC connection.

Glass mount antennas are poor and there is loss in adapters.

The question is, is there more signal loss with the on-glass antenna or BNC to SMA adapter?

Thanks!

N

N_Jay

ofd8001 said:
I have a Uniden 396 that I want to use in my vehicle. I have the option of using either an on-glass antenna having the SMA connector, or a magnetic mount with a BNC connection.

Glass mount antennas are poor and there is loss in adapters.

The question is, is there more signal loss with the on-glass antenna or BNC to SMA adapter?

Thanks!

Much more with teh on glass

hsdtech

If you are looking for something low profile or hidden, you can buy an adapter that turns your regular car stereo antenna into a scanner antenna.
I did this for years and it worked pretty darn good.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
If you are in a high signal area, either should work fine.

If you are all over the map, use the mag mount or better.

TooLate

On Glass Signal Loss

hsdtech said:
If you are looking for something low profile or hidden, you can buy an adapter that turns your regular car stereo antenna into a scanner antenna.
I did this for years and it worked pretty darn good.

I've used this for years too but with the fender mounted am/fm stock antenna...as you say... works well. BUT, now my daily commuter has one of those "paint splatterin the window tint area" antennas (or else it's hidden in the rear window defroster?) and since it barely picks up all but strong and local am/fm stations, doesn't seem prudent to spend $ for another one...unless there is something that will boost both the am/fm and scanner frequencies first.
Any suggestions?

tl

hsdtech

The fender mount factory FM antenna is what I was referring to. Seems you will have to use some sort of external antenna.
At least with a mag mount you can always take it down and stick in your vehicle when your not using it.
Maybe one of those suction cup mounts for a duckie?

Cuda61

Years ago I tried a 2-Meter through the glass ham antenna and it was a piece of junk. I had it tuned correct but the recieve and transmit was only about 1/3 as good as a roof or trunk mount antenna. Wy wife did not like the idea of punching a 3/4" hole on the roof of her new car for an MNO antenna mount. So I ended up installing a trunk lip mount antenna for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.