On or OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Wear on the volume knob is more of a concern than the card. The card is easily replaced, the rotary encoder for the volume knob not so much. I leave my scanners on 24/7/365 unless I'm going to be gone for more than a few hours.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
So the way I figure, which is probably not accurate, 2 cycles per day, 1 read when the scanner is turned on and 1 write when the scanner is turned off, would work out to 50,000 days to get to 100,000 cycles. 50,000 days is about 135 years. SD cards are cheap and easy to replace so I wouldn't worry about the SD card. I have a backup so when it does die I will just put in the backup and be up and running again.
Add to that time, that the card itself is designed to write to unused memory cells first and only reuse cells after all unused cells have been used and then start the whole process over again as if none of the cells are "used." So, for example, if you only have used 25% of the card.. You get 4 times life of 135 years....over 500 years! 😊

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So the way I figure, which is probably not accurate, 2 cycles per day, 1 read when the scanner is turned on and 1 write when the scanner is turned off, would work out to 50,000 days to get to 100,000 cycles. 50,000 days is about 135 years. SD cards are cheap and easy to replace so I wouldn't worry about the SD card. I have a backup so when it does die I will just put in the backup and be up and running again.
So, you're basically saying that your SD card should outlive you. You also have to figure that, in 135 years, the SD card will be a distant memory (no pun intended).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Add to that time, that the card itself is designed to write to unused memory cells first and only reuse cells after all unused cells have been used and then start the whole process over again as if none of the cells are "used." So, for example, if you only have used 25% of the card.. You get 4 times life of 135 years....over 500 years! 😊
I don't buy it but just in case, I'll include them in my will.

Status
Not open for further replies.