ON-Star Off-Star?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
The FCC is considering changes, proposed by Chairman Kevin Martin, which would replace a revenue-based collection system for universal service to a fixed, $1.00 per month telephone-number-based system. Under the changes, universal service fees that are currently collected on emergency telematics services would jump in several circumstances at least 3000% and impose enormous additional monthly costs on maintaining telematics equipped vehicles and rolling the service out to an automaker's entire fleet. In most cases the fee will exceed the cost of the cellular service. Emergency service providers and automobile manufacturers and their affiliated dealerships fear such an increase would necessitate the end of these emergency services. All of the telematics providers currently pay universal service fees under the revenue-based system and do not oppose paying an amount consistent with the current fee structure

Marketwatch.com

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
After reading the article I am more confused than ever. It appears that the FCC wants to charge $1.00 per month for each vehicle that has this service. Since these services are generally paid for by the year, this means adding less than $12.00 a year (since we already pay some Universal Fee already) to an annual bill that is about $200 (just for the basic service) anyway. What is the big deal? In my case, since I have unlimited directions also, my bill (in June) for renewal was $315, how is an extra (less than) $12.00 a year going impact that?

N

N_Jay

After reading the article I am more confused than ever. It appears that the FCC wants to charge $1.00 per month for each vehicle that has this service. Since these services are generally paid for by the year, this means adding less than $12.00 a year (since we already pay some Universal Fee already) to an annual bill that is about $200 (just for the basic service) anyway. What is the big deal? In my case, since I have unlimited directions also, my bill (in June) for renewal was $315, how is an extra (less than) $12.00 a year going impact that?

You are in the minority.

Most people do not sign up leaving the car manufacturer or service provider to pay for numbers not generating any revenue.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Oh, let's see...12 bucks here, 12 bucks there...a little more here....maybe that's how it impacts people. The present FCC Chairman has proven himself to be a boob more than once.

shaft

I have a feeling the article is leaving a bunch of important details out, or they clearly didnt understand the statement by the FCC. I cant imagine a fee based system based off a block of numbers that are not in use. It would make sense to charge the $1.00 fee on a per number/subscriber basis vs. a flat rate per 10,000 block of numbers.

In any case, if the FCC decides to enact this, On-Star and the like could move to an IP based system. Compared to the estimated increase the providers think it will cost them, the upgraded network could pay for itself in a couple of years.

shaft

When??

Or maybe you think that On-Star installed a nationwide network, or has the capability to install one?

I never said they did, or think they did, nor do they need to.

I was suggesting they could engineer a system that ran similar to how VoIP does to communticate via IP instead. The existing cellular networks can still be used, but the routing would be done via IP intead of an NPA/NXX.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
You are in the minority.

Most people do not sign up leaving the car manufacturer or service provider to pay for numbers not generating any revenue.
Okay, this doesn't happen often but ...

Actually the fact (verified just minutes ago with OnStar) is, if you don't keep your subscription active, there is no communication available, that includes emergency services (like 911 or pressing the emergency button). No subscription, no communication; hence, no fees including the universal fee. Manufacturers would pay nothing as the actual hardware in the vehicle is disabled entirely.

shaft:
The point you are missing is that there still needs to be a cellular connection from the vehicle. VoIP has nothing to do with the link from vehicle to tower. In any case VoIP services that terminate in a telephone number still pay the universal fee. I just looked at my home VoIP service and find that the monthly universal fee is $0.80 per month.

Again, this is a fee that everyone who has such services in their vehicle are paying already. Since, in my case, I pay this annually, the current universal fee is not broken out as there is no detail available. But assuming that the fee is close to a dollar per month anyway, moving to a dollar per month doesn't seem to be a hardship. It certainly will not have the impact that the article describes.

shaft

I didnt miss the point, you dont need a telephone number to connect to the cellurlar network. Your phone number is used only to route the call, not the negotiation onto the network.

I do stand corrected on the USF tho, it based per subscription and not on the number itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.