On the green or on the red

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfp237

Listening to my local EMS communications, every call is either “on the green” or “on the red.” I assume this corresponds to the urgency of the response, but can someone tell me exactly what it means?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
As @tvengr said, you'll get better responses in the NY forum, here it is people across the country guessing. That said, in my area green/red means accepting patients or full and not accepting.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Listening to my local EMS communications, every call is either “on the green” or “on the red.” I assume this corresponds to the urgency of the response, but can someone tell me exactly what it means?
Which agency are you listening to?

And what’s the context of the phrases? How are they used?

rfp237

Actually, there are two ambulance services in my area. One categorizes each call using priority 1, priority 2, priority 3 or priority 4. The other uses this on the green or red terminology. After the dispatcher describes the emergency and the location to the ambulance crew, the dispatcher repeats the the location and then says “on the green” or “on the red” and the ambulance crew repeats the location ”on the green” or “on the red.”

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
I’m wondering if “on the red“ means they go through red traffic lights and “on the green” means the wait for green lights.
Sounds likely, green for no code, red for code...could be anything though

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Actually, there are two ambulance services in my area. One categorizes each call using priority 1, priority 2, priority 3 or priority 4. The other uses this on the green or red terminology. After the dispatcher describes the emergency and the location to the ambulance crew, the dispatcher repeats the the location and then says “on the green” or “on the red” and the ambulance crew repeats the location ”on the green” or “on the red.”

Why be vague about who the ambulance companies are? Most likely it’s AMR and Monroe. AMR uses the Priority Dispatch EMD code information to categorize 1through 4 because that info is send to them via 911’s CAD dispatch. They have the City of Rochester EMS contract so much of their call volume comes from 911. Monroe has some coverage out in the county but does a considerable volume of private and transfer calls. They do get the 911 CAD info for any county area where they have response contracts.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
An analog system I used to monitor had a green channel and a red channel (and other colors) because it was easier than remembering frequencies.

Bob1955

A red tag is someone in critical condition and a green tag is minor. ALS-Advanced Life Support /BLS-Basic Life Support.
Also, for Fire Departments. If the dispatcher says to go with traffic, it means no sirens and follow all traffic laws-meaning a non-emergency call.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Unless there's been some other code words for, or direct reference of, Covid-19, I'd say these color codes are a reference to that. I don't hear many local EMS calls that don't clarify that for the responding EMT's.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

Red is lights and siren. Green is ... not.

If you hear an EMS unit report that they are heading to the hospital "ALS Red" that is NOT a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.