• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Once again, lots of FRS/GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing alot more frs activity in my area since places have begun to open up due to this covid stuff.

n1das

Not much activity here in southern NH and haven't noticed an increase due to places opening up due to all the Covid stuff. I regularly keep an ear on the GMRS/FRS channels to listen for local activity in my travels. I'm not a user of GMRS/FRS anymore for the most part because I moved my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends from GMRS/FRS to digital on 900MHz using Motorola DTR radios. I still scan the GMRS/FRS channels to listen for local activity.

My thoughts too. Are you in So. Cal?

DW
So.Cal

No, I'm in Eastern New York.

Not much activity here in southern NH and haven't noticed an increase due to places opening up due to all the Covid stuff. I regularly keep an ear on the GMRS/FRS channels to listen for local activity in my travels. I'm not a user of GMRS/FRS anymore for the most part because I moved my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends from GMRS/FRS to digital on 900MHz using Motorola DTR radios. I still scan the GMRS/FRS channels to listen for local activity.

What I've been hearing is curbside orders being coordinated at small Mom and Pop shop type stores, and some restaurants.

DJ11DLN

If anything it's dropped off here, other than the one repeater I can pick up. I used to hear a good bit of activity there and on the MURS channels, much of it in Spanish, but they've been pretty quiet all summer.

a417

I still scan the GMRS/FRS channels to listen for local activity.
At least two of the active flagger companies in Maine use bubble pack radios for traffic control. This gives you a little heads up as to which particular intersection and route they've turned into blacktop-hell.

n1das

At least two of the active flagger companies in Maine use bubble pack radios for traffic control. This gives you a little heads up as to which particular intersection and route they've turned into blacktop-hell.

I've heard flaggers many times on FRS around road construction projects.

One of the streets next to my house was repaved a couple of months ago and the flaggers used FRS. I don't recall what brand of radios they were using but I did get a look at one of them. I happened to be at home at the time because I was working remotely due to all of the Covid stuff. I had no trouble finding the flaggers by scanning the FRS/GMRS channels. They were close enough that I could also get Close Call hits from them on my BCD396xt. They were on 462.5625 (FRS 1) and not using CTCSS or DCS, just plain old CSQ and with no annoying roger beep when they un-key PTT. I live up on a hill and I can hear local FRS traffic up to a couple of miles away. Nobody bothered them and they actually sounded professional on the air, unlike a lot of flaggers I usually hear.

Most of the time the FRS activity I hear is kids playing around with FRS and with all of the annoying call tones, etc. The only reason I keep a few Motorola Talkabout FRS bubble packs around is for playing with my nephews when they visit. LOL, I'm guilty as charged for contributing to kids playing with bubble packs on FRS. :)

Last edited:

n1das

Most of the time the FRS activity I hear is kids playing around with FRS and with all of the annoying call tones, etc. The only reason I keep a few Motorola Talkabout FRS bubble packs around is for playing with my nephews when they visit. LOL, I'm guilty as charged for contributing to kids playing with bubble packs on FRS. :)
Ahh. 50 lashes and a walk on the plank for ye.

DW
So. Cal.
LOL. I'm bracing for a visit from the nephews next weekend. Welcome to chaos, LOL. We probably will be playing around with the FRS bubble packs again. They DO NOT get to play with my Motorola 900MHz DTR radios.

n1das

It's slowly becoming the "2 Watt" walkie talkie band for Biz and the kiddies...
Probably like PMR446 in Europe except the Europeans have some nicer radios to use in addition to bubble packs and also have a digital portion of the band to use. I would love to be able to use digital modes legally on GMRS/FRS and MURS but that probably will never happen. That's another reason why the Motorola DTRs on 900MHz have emerged my all-digital replacement for GMRS/FRS and MURS for my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. Aside from occasional light use of FRS once in a blue moon, I don't use analog anymore for my non-ham stuff.

I don't even monitor the GMRS/FRS band anymore, too many "F Bombs" from kids and construction company employees..
I still keep an ear on GMRS/FRS and MURS because you never know who may show up there. Anything goes.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It's slowly becoming the "2 Watt" walkie talkie band for Biz and the kiddies... I don't even monitor the GMRS/FRS band anymore, too many "F Bombs" from kids and construction company employees..

Ive got a few crews within range on vhf/uhf business band and gmrs thats half the entertainment right there is the creative ways to cuss out a co-worker with the F-word. Ive never heard it used so many ways

n1das

Ive got a few crews within range on vhf/uhf business band and gmrs thats half the entertainment right there is the creative ways to cuss out a co-worker with the F-word. Ive never heard it used so many ways

LOL. So true.

I wonder if they know the world has ears and is listening to them or if they think nobody can hear them because they are using a "privacy code" on their bubble packs, LOL. They probably are clueless and don't give an expletive whether anybody else hears them or not.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
LOL. So true.

I wonder if they know the world has ears and is listening to them or if they think nobody can hear them because they are using a "privacy code" on their bubble packs, LOL. They probably are clueless and don't give an expletive whether anybody else hears them or not.

I once worked at walmart and carried a radio. One time I was helping curbside pickup customer and I guess I scared the fella because he had a handheld scanner he was fumbling to tuck it aside when I came up to his window

I didnt say anything but later thinking to ask why the hell someone would want to listen to our stupid management coming from someone who had heard enough myself and didnt care for them. different strokes for different folks. maybe he'd hear how screwed up some walmarts can be and I'd at least have a customer on my side

I really understand the crews pain when I listen to them, poor bastard works with so many f-ups its amazing hes still on the job!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
sorry shoplifters dont waste your time, they're plain clothes, big radios are obvious. Look up, see the cameras everywhere, your always on tv. Look for a door when you walk in, thats the ap room. Dont be looking stupid, cops will be waiting by the door when you try to walk out

Status
Not open for further replies.