Oncor EDACS to P25 phase II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Well two years ago I posted this...
I don't know what the status of that is but today I noticed that they submitted applications to modify 6 of the existing 900 MHz EDACS licenses by adding emission designator 9K80D7W which is what P25 phase II uses.
Here is the first application.
Unfortunately there are no attachments or letters.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I do believe I heard them a few months ago still using the EDACS system if I remember correctly, probably when I was in the WF area during the winter storm, but I will try plugging some of the sites near me here in DFW and see if they have may the switch yet.

nd5y

The applications are for sites in Dallas, Collin, Tarrant, Johnson, Hood, Wise, Parker, Palo Pinto.

Up here the EDACS control channels are still on the air. Nothing new in the 935-940 band.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Interesting. I have not seen 900mhz P25 equipment for phase 1 or 2.
Wonder what radios they would use if they keep existing licenses and switch from edacs to P25 Phase 2.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Interesting. I have not seen 900mhz P25 equipment for phase 1 or 2.
Wonder what radios they would use if they keep existing licenses and switch from edacs to P25 Phase 2.
CLECO Power is using this already in Louisiana, but they upgraded from Motorola SmartZone to P25. The new system identifies as Phase II, but only one talkgroup has been identified thus far.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Tom,

In reference to your original post wrt: 700 Mhz. I think they're using the 700 MHz guard band for telemetry. In the past year alone there are now many pole mounted antennas and line monitoring equipment in and around my neighborhood (Allen).

Russell

nd5y

Tom,

In reference to your original post wrt: 700 Mhz. I think they're using the 700 MHz guard band for telemetry. In the past year alone there are now many pole mounted antennas and line monitoring equipment in and around my neighborhood (Allen).
Here is more info about the 700 MHz guard band licenses from renewal applications they filed last November.

We have had the smart meters and pole mounted radios that look like street lights for over 10 years here in WF and also when I lived in Mineral Wells. As far as I know the smart meter system operates in the 902-928 MHz ISM band.

Oncor also has tons of microwave licenses for SCADA and telemetry. A lot of those are new or modified in the past couple years so I have no idea what they use the 700 MHz guard band for.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll have to post a picture. This isn't the street light mounted antennas (Weren't those used by the now defunct RAM Mobile Data). These are entirely different. Every where there's one of those new antennas there is also equipment attached to each phase. They look like little transformers without a secondary connection. Annnddd, upon further consideration, it could be part of a meter collection system.

Last edited:

nd5y

I'll have to post a picture. This isn't the street light mounted antennas (Weren't those used by the now defunct RAM Mobile Data).
I haven't seen any like in the picture around here. I think it was long after RAM or Metro or whatever it was went under that Oncor installed the ones for the smart meters.

VictorXray

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Those pole-mounted antennas are part of Oncor's 900MHz telemetry network, and they are setup like a multipoint mesh network. The radios are made by S&C Electric, part of the SpeedNet product family.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
As of today 7/24/2020 I still see the Control Channels of Belton and Copperas Cove locations on my waterfall screen. Around 939 MHz.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
While in the Southern part of Dallas this weekend, I picked up a P25 control channel with System ID Ah, using NAC 038h on 938.4625 and NAC 061h on 939.0000 - which are licensed to Oncor's Cedar Hill and Fort Worth sites respectively. I couldn't get my SDRs to lock in on them to get the full site data. I did check the sites closer to home, McKinney/Allen and Plano/Richardson, and only can pick up the EDACS control channel (nor did I pick up a P25 signal on the Downtown Dallas frequencies while I was transiting that area).

Unless someone beats me to it, I might have to road trip out to Cedar Hill and Fort Worth next weekend to see if I can get more information.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
While in the Southern part of Dallas this weekend, I picked up a P25 control channel with System ID Ah, using NAC 038h on 938.4625 and NAC 061h on 939.0000 - which are licensed to Oncor's Cedar Hill and Fort Worth sites respectively. I couldn't get my SDRs to lock in on them to get the full site data. I did check the sites closer to home, McKinney/Allen and Plano/Richardson, and only can pick up the EDACS control channel (nor did I pick up a P25 signal on the Downtown Dallas frequencies while I was transiting that area).

Unless someone beats me to it, I might have to road trip out to Cedar Hill and Fort Worth next weekend to see if I can get more information.

If I can revieve the Fort Worth site down in Northern Johnson County I’ll try to decide it and see if I can get any info. I’ll also throw the Johnson county sites licensed for P25 in as well and see what I get.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I am able to receive the Fort Worth site down here in Johnson County, might just be on the fringes of this site.

Programmed it into the SDS this morning and found a P25 control channel on 939.0000 MHz. I got the following info:
Sys ID: Ah
RFSS ID: 87
WACN: 91FE7h
Site ID: 87

Status
Not open for further replies.