Oncor Utilities Edacs System in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

samlove

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone successfully programmed the Oncor Utilities Co. system, Texas, in the GRE PSR-500?

I have it programmed in, the Logical location of the frequencies is correct with the system type as narrow, (I have it working fine in my BCD396t), but my PSR-500 will not track the sytem and will not receive any transmissions.

Just in case, I have tried setting the system type to normal.

mikey60

Has anyone successfully programmed the Oncor Utilities Co. system, Texas, in the GRE PSR-500?

I have it programmed in, the Logical location of the frequencies is correct with the system type as narrow, (I have it working fine in my BCD396t), but my PSR-500 will not track the sytem and will not receive any transmissions.

Just in case, I have tried setting the system type to normal.

When you have the system in narrow mode, try toggling the Signal Invert option on the TSYS object. That may resolve this for you.

Mike

Boulder

i've listened to some sites with my 500....just make sure it's programmed as EDACS Narrow and have the Signal Invert option checked when programming it.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I'm having the same problem with my 500. I used the invert option and started picking up one-sided conversations but apparently I'm still not following the system. I don't think the LCN's have been confirmed for the site I'm using (Sherman) and that may be what's wrong.

Boulder

sites beginning with 9xx are unconfirmed sites..and sherman is one of those so the LCN ordering and channels could be off

Listened to the site out in Dallas here not too long ago and was trunking fine

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
sites beginning with 9xx are unconfirmed sites..and sherman is one of those so the LCN ordering and channels could be off

Listened to the site out in Dallas here not too long ago and was trunking fine

So how does one go about figuring out the configuration? I think it would take forever trying different channel positions. I understand there are software programs that can decipher some of the trunking systems, I'm not sure EDACS is one of them however.

SCPD

QRT
So how does one go about figuring out the configuration? I think it would take forever trying different channel positions. I understand there are software programs that can decipher some of the trunking systems, I'm not sure EDACS is one of them however.
Run Unitrunker with your '500. Place the radio in Tune mode and find the control channel for your system. When the site window appears ... fill in the control channel's frequency into the program (look for the channel in red).

Assuming you can determine the voice channel frequencies (eg. FCC licenses) ... program those as conventional channels into an empty bank of a second scanner. Omit the control channel since it's LCN is known. Under low system activity (one or two channels active at a time) ... press the "scan" button on the second receiver each time a new voice call appears in Unitrunker. Make note of the LCN vs. the frequency displayed on your second scanner. Do this several times to confirm each voice channel. As successive calls step through the channel rotation - you should end up with LCN / frequency pairs in about 15 minutes time.

Please submit your findings to the RR DB to save everyone else the hassle!

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Run Unitrunker with your '500. Place the radio in Tune mode and find the control channel for your system. When the site window appears ... fill in the control channel's frequency into the program (look for the channel in red).

Assuming you can determine the voice channel frequencies (eg. FCC licenses) ... program those as conventional channels into an empty bank of a second scanner. Omit the control channel since it's LCN is known. Under low system activity (one or two channels active at a time) ... press the "scan" button on the second receiver each time a new voice call appears in Unitrunker. Make note of the LCN vs. the frequency displayed on your second scanner. Do this several times to confirm each voice channel. As successive calls step through the channel rotation - you should end up with LCN / frequency pairs in about 15 minutes time.

Please submit your findings to the RR DB to save everyone else the hassle!

Where do you obtain Unitrunker? You said the control channel is known. What tells you what it is?

SCPD

QRT
Mike, Try the Desert site. Those LCN's are fine. Also, lately I have not been able to hear anything on the Northern sites. Desert will rattle with activity on Monday's but is dead a lot. I won't hear anything steady till I go to Allen or Plano Sites.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
OnCor is pretty good about keep the frequecnies together and in frequency order for the most part. There are abviously some exceptions. However, enter the control frequency then press FUNC, then Press TUNE. This will put that freq in TUNE mode and you can get some immediate info like channel number and site number where Cnn is the LCN (of the control channel) and Snn is the site number. Post that info immediately so we can move Sherman from the 900's down to the 100's where it belongs in the DB.

Now, if you're lucky, the site is set up in the simplest way possible. Let's say you you've found the control frequency to be 939.475, you've entered that in TUNE mode on the P500 and it is says something like C09 S08. Then you now know that freq 939.475 goes into LCN 9 and the site number is 8. Enter 939.475 as LCN 9.

Now, here comes the "if you're lucky" part. Try entering 939.4375 as LCN 7, 939.4625 as LCN 8, and 939.4875 as LCN 10. Try tracking a few conversations and see if it tracks properly. The P500 must be signal inverted for OnCor. Most of the smaller OnCor sites are set up this way and it may very well work. If not then try moving the voice channels around a bit. UniTrunker can tell you exactly the LCNs of the voice channels but not the freqs, you have to figure that out by manually following the voice channels.

Of course, all this assumes that the FCC info is correct. If it seems like you're missing part of a conversation then search the range 935 to 940 to see if you can find voice channels not in the DB.

Russell

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I'll try that. I downloaded Unitrunker but from what I read it wouldn't work with EDACS and/or EDACS with the 500 so I havent' messed with it yet.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
OnCor is pretty good about keep the frequecnies together and in frequency order for the most part. There are abviously some exceptions. However, enter the control frequency then press FUNC, then Press TUNE. This will put that freq in TUNE mode and you can get some immediate info like channel number and site number where Cnn is the LCN (of the control channel) and Snn is the site number. Post that info immediately so we can move Sherman from the 900's down to the 100's where it belongs in the DB.

Now, if you're lucky, the site is set up in the simplest way possible. Let's say you you've found the control frequency to be 939.475, you've entered that in TUNE mode on the P500 and it is says something like C09 S08. Then you now know that freq 939.475 goes into LCN 9 and the site number is 8. Enter 939.475 as LCN 9.

Now, here comes the "if you're lucky" part. Try entering 939.4375 as LCN 7, 939.4625 as LCN 8, and 939.4875 as LCN 10. Try tracking a few conversations and see if it tracks properly. The P500 must be signal inverted for OnCor. Most of the smaller OnCor sites are set up this way and it may very well work. If not then try moving the voice channels around a bit. UniTrunker can tell you exactly the LCNs of the voice channels but not the freqs, you have to figure that out by manually following the voice channels.

Of course, all this assumes that the FCC info is correct. If it seems like you're missing part of a conversation then search the range 935 to 940 to see if you can find voice channels not in the DB.

Russell

The control channel (939.4625) is LCN 2. I already had the other frequencies programmed in the correct order so they must be using a different configuaration on this one. The site number is 12.

Boulder

you might already know this, but to run unitrunker with the 500 you need to enable the CCDump feature...press prog then func then glob and scroll all the way to the very bottom and enable the CCDump feature

I believe unitrunker with one of the last couple of updates from GRE was able to enable EDACS along with Motorola for use with the 500/600...I think it's just LTR systems unitrunker is having problems with for the 500/600 scanners. Just make sure you have all the latest firmware updates for the 500 and you should be able to use unitrunker.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
you might already know this, but to run unitrunker with the 500 you need to enable the CCDump feature...press prog then func then glob and scroll all the way to the very bottom and enable the CCDump feature

I believe unitrunker with one of the last couple of updates from GRE was able to enable EDACS along with Motorola for use with the 500/600...I think it's just LTR systems unitrunker is having problems with for the 500/600 scanners. Just make sure you have all the latest firmware updates for the 500 and you should be able to use unitrunker.

I know basically nothing about it so thanks for the info. I'm assuming I run the audio out to my computer mic in? Is there anything else?

SCPD

QRT
Just curious, what are you wanting to hear on the OnCor system anyways? All it is, Is Electric & Gas operations. There is No TXDOT or LifeStar or Careflite or Much more Ft. Hood (Hood went to the new 380MHz system) I mean if you are dyeing to listen to OnCor - Don't expect anything awesome! Man, you'll hear more out of Grayson Co. Electric than these guys. (But you already knew all of that - I'm sure)

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, what are you wanting to hear on the OnCor system anyways? All it is, Is Electric & Gas operations. There is No TXDOT or LifeStar or Careflite or Much more Ft. Hood (Hood went to the new 380MHz system) I mean if you are dyeing to listen to OnCor - Don't expect anything awesome! Man, you'll hear more out of Grayson Co. Electric than these guys. (But you already knew all of that - I'm sure)

I initially wanted to listen to LIFESTAR however during bad weather or when the power is out I like to listen in to ONCOR. Even though I am on GCEC the rest of Sherman is ONCOR, plus they provide the mainline power to GCEC. Probably the main reason is just because I want to be able to hear it even if I don't want to. One of those obsessive scanner things!

Status
Not open for further replies.