ONCOR Waco, Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck9997

Does anyone know the Waco ONCOR frequencies. I downloaded the ones listed and the talkgroups but cannot receive anything. When performing a sweep scan I can pick them up.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Well, I am also in this same boat regarding lack of radio response from Oncor. I've loaded these into the system. Oncor has a huge EDACS system. The problem I've encountered is attempting to program a multi-site radio system like this. I've not had much luck. From what I understand, you must put a different TSY for each location along with the various talk groups. In essence, I have not heard anything either. I still have this system programmed to no avail.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, I am also in this same boat regarding lack of radio response from Oncor. I've loaded these into the system. Oncor has a huge EDACS system. The problem I've encountered is attempting to program a multi-site radio system like this. I've not had much luck. From what I understand, you must put a different TSY for each location along with the various talk groups. In essence, I have not heard anything either. I still have this system programmed to no avail.
Ensnared,
Which scanner are you using? The 245XLT and prior Radio Shack scanners (before the digital Pro-106/Pro-197, which are the same as the PSR500/PSR600) will not work for EDACS narrow band systems like Oncor's.

Your PSR500 will work, however. You are correct. Each site must be programmed as a separate TSYS object, so that you can enter the frequencies in correct LCN order for each site. Make sure that each system is set for EDACS narrow. Also, select the option to "invert data" for EDACS narrow band systems. With those settings, my PSR500 tracks the system just fine. You can select the "invert data" either within your programming software (if you use WIN500, it's right under the "System Frequencies" entry point), or from the keyboard. Using the keyboard, get into edit mode for the TSYS, then scroll down into the "Expert Below" section to access that option.

ck9997,
Same comments apply to you. Which scanner are you trying to use on the system? Make sure it is capable of tracking an EDACS narrow system. All of the later model Uniden's, starting at least with the BC780XLT and BC250, will handle that type of system. You can access Radio Models in the Wiki. Then, for any given scanner, scroll down to the section labeled RR System Compatibility. Under the various system types, look for EDACS Narrowband Networked, which is what Pncor uses.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
HIEGTX: I did not know this about the invert function. I will try this. The main problem I have with this type of system is selecting the correct corresponding talk groups to the area selected, Waco. So, what I've done is select the "operations" and "storm" TG's on my PSR 500. Do you live in Waco or nearby? And, I used Win500. So, I will see what happens. Thanks.

nd5y

You probably need to scan the Oncor system in open mode or search mode and determine what talkgroups are used in your area.
Sometimes they patch talkgroups together or use different ones at different times.
I wouldn't count on the database listings being totally accurate.
There are also a lot of unidentified talkgroups that are not in the database.
Oncor Energy - The RadioReference Wiki

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Open or search mode? Ok, I suppose that I could do that, but I will have to read how. I've not mastered that part of this radio yet. Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Open or search mode? Ok, I suppose that I could do that, but I will have to read how. I've not mastered that part of this radio yet. Thanks.
Ensnared,
I'm in Dallas, so not quite 100 miles north of you.

To scan the Oncor TSYS object in the equivalent to " ID search" mode (the term used in the Uniden scanners) or open mode (a term used for previous models of GRE manufactured scanners; GRE makes the Pro-197 for Radio Shack), just add a "group" wildcard" object.

In Win500, go to your Oncor TSYS object in your programming file.
Click in the 'status bar' just above the various talkgroups you already have entered. That makes the bottom "window" the active one for this next step.
Now, you can do this either one of two ways:
a. Create a new item by selecting the "Edit" menu at the to of the screen, then pick "New item at end"
or b. Use the keyboard shortcut <CTRL>+<Shft>+<N> (pressing the Control key, the Shift key, & the letter N, all at the same time).
That will create a new talkgroup object labeled as "Talkgroup" in the alpha tag, type will be group, and instead of a number, like the rest of the ones you have entered, the value in the 'Group or radio ID' column will be "Wildcard".

Having a group wildcard in the system will pick up any talkgroups that you do not already have entered. The scanner will stop on them and receive the transmission, and the talkgroup ID will be flashing on the display with an menu option present to store that ID to the radios memory. You could also set that wildcard ID, using Win500, to display a specific LED color to alert you of a new "find", or make the display backlight 'flash', or sound a beep, or a different alert, to catch your attention.

In case you're not familiar with it, an "easier to read" manual covering your scanner can be found here. And here is a reference for Win500, put together in large part, by a member who has since passed away.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
HIEGTX: Sometimes, I feel rather stupid in the presence of this radio. I have utilized about 5% of its capabilities. I don't see the "status bar" icon you mentioned. Here is what I am seeing in Win500:
a) show scan list with drop down menu, currently shows "all"; b) format (global) set to "native"; c) show unassigned box which is currently unchecked. Now, are you referring to the "status bar" as the box "Group or radio ID?" What I think I will attempt is to load the radio tower near Waco and then put it on Wildcard. Then, as you indicated, I could store these TG's. And, I will set the LED to a flashing color coupled with that annoying ring tone. I really appreciate the links for this radio and software. So, I will be reloading the system and seeing if it works better. DWW

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
HIEGTX: Bravo. I heard my first Oncor transmission. Thanks so much. It came up as a Wildcard; therefore, I pressed store. Hopefully, it will store this into the Oncor TSY group where it will show up again. I think I did this correctly.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
HIEGTX: Bravo. I heard my first Oncor transmission. Thanks so much. It came up as a Wildcard; therefore, I pressed store. Hopefully, it will store this into the Oncor TSY group where it will show up again. I think I did this correctly.
Ensnared,
Sorry my 'status bar' comment was not more clear. Perhaps it would have made more sense to call it the 'column header' for the 'talkgroup objects' section of the programming screen. All you're trying to do is make sure that when you add a "new object", either via the keyboard shortcut, or through the edit menu option, it adds a talkgroup (which you'll use as a wildcard" instead of adding a new system (TSYS object). By clicking on the lower portion of the screen, you make sure the program knows that's the active 'window' for the add process. Of course, since you already have a few talkgroups down there, you can simply click on any one of them to make the lower window 'active'.

Since you have a wildcard, and picked up a new talkgroup, you got it added in the right place. When you hit "store" (after the wildcard 'found' a talkgroup you did not have programmed), the scanner will store it with the trunked system where it was "found".

However, to make sure that you save it into the software, so that it is not lost the next time you make a programming change & do an 'upload to scanner', you may want to first want to 'download from the scanner' into Win500. This will copy the programming file, including any 'found' talkgroups, to a file in Win500. You can then either save that file under a name (i.e. "Waco file 09-09-2010", or any other name you like), or simply copy the found new tgid over to your current programming file. If that tgid is not currently listed on the Oncor system page (as Tom, nd5y, mentioned, there are many that may not be), then you may need to listen to it for a while, and see if you can determine the use. Line repairs? Residential service? Maybe a specific city or county (or several counties)? Then give it a text tag. You can also look at the "saved" file, downloaded from the scanner, and look at the "hits" for your various conventional & TSYS objects. This will give you an idea of which are most active, if that interests you. (Each time the scanner stops on an active conversation on a channel or talkgroup object, that's a "hit" for that 'object'.)

One other side note: When you stored that new item found by the wildcard, the scanner probably added it to scan-list 1, or whatever your default is. ("1" is the default normally, though you can change that.) If all the rest of your "Oncor" talkgroups are tied to a different scan-list, you may want to change the new one to match them. This just makes it easier to turn the entire batch on or off (with the same scan-list).

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Which talkgroup did you hear?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Russell: Here are the two TG's that I monitored: 01-113 & 01-121, I was monitoring on the day when it was raining from the hurricane aftermath. I found one of these TG's being listed for Ellis County South Ops, but couldn't find the other one in the TG listings for Oncor.

HIEGTX: After saving the TG in the radio, I shot it back to the computer and put things where they need to be. I will have to digest all of the information you sent to me.

For both of you responding in this reply, I don't understand why it is necessary to check "EDACS-N invert." I don't know what this function is about, but I will attempt to research it. I will continue to try capturing these TG's. Thanks for the help.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
For both of you responding in this reply, I don't understand why it is necessary to check "EDACS-N invert." I don't know what this function is about, but I will attempt to research it. I will continue to try capturing these TG's. Thanks for the help.
EDACS-N Invert tells the radio to invert the way it handles the control channel for EDACS narrowband systems. The control channel is sending out a series of 1's and 0's. The invert function tells the radio to interpret those the other way - instead of 1's and 0's, interpret the signals as 0's and 1's. I hope that's clear as mud.

As far as the unidentified talkgroup, you may have found a group used in the Waco area. Listen to it more, see if you can identify where any addresses or roads may be and what type of operations are occurring on that TG. Then when can enter that info into the DB.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
EDACS-N Invert tells the radio to invert the way it handles the control channel for EDACS narrowband systems. The control channel is sending out a series of 1's and 0's. The invert function tells the radio to interpret those the other way - instead of 1's and 0's, interpret the signals as 0's and 1's. I hope that's clear as mud.
To add just a bit more, I'm not really sure why the GRE manufactured scanners (PSR-500/-600, the ones GRE makes for Radio Shack, the Pro-106/-197) require the "invert" setting for EDACS Narrow". I do know that previous GRE manufactured models could not handle narrowband systems at all. For the Uniden scanners, no "invert" setting is needed, nor is one even an option on the scanner. (Since it's not needed, why put one in there?). Obviously, there's a difference in the firmware as to how the scanners processors decode the systems. As Russel indicated, the invert tells the scanner to read the data "backwards".

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I will monitor Oncor when I know they are busy to better determine the actual location and they type of operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.