One Antenna with Two Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smpg2613

Premium Subscriber
I am wanting to know if it would be possible (and a good idea) to use one antenna with two radios... and if so, how would this work?

I currently have two mobile radios: 1) a Vertex VHF radio I Tx and Rx with in the 150mhx range and 2) a Dual Band VHF/UHF radio which I only Rx on (has Tx capability, but dont use it)....

I just ordered an Omni-Directional antenna to replace the antenna for the VHF radio I Tx/Rx on, but was wondering if I would somehow use that for also the VHF/UHF comob radio I only Rx on... that way I don't have two antennas on the roof.. Right now I have two mobile type 3/4 wave antennas you would normally see on a vehicle on my roof.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don_Burke

Hooking a transmitter that uses only one frequency up to an antenna along with a receiver is not too tough.

Hooking a transmitter that uses several frequencies up to an antenna along with a receiver is asking quite a bit.

You are better off with two antennas.

smpg2613

Premium Subscriber
Look at the top of the forum, there's a big sticky thread with tons of good info on the subject

Hi smason, I saw that link at the top of the Forum list... but that specifically mentions "scanners"... I didn't know if it would make a difference where I actually Transmit on one of the radios and not just Receive.

smason

Hi smason, I saw that link at the top of the Forum list... but that specifically mentions "scanners"... I didn't know if it would make a difference where I actually Transmit on one of the radios and not just Receive.

Sorry, my bad, I didn't read closely enough....missed the TX part.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Making do with one dual band antenna is easy if you are willing to live with the following compromise:
Use the vertex VHF to tx/rx for all of your vhf needs (put it in scan mode)
Use the dual bander for receiving UHF only.

This can be accomplished by using a relatively inexpensive mobile duplexer. Of course in this setup you can also t/x on uhf with the dual bander if you like, but you won't receive much if any vhf on it.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.