One Boy Seventy-Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiTaLD

For those that have been around for a while, can you explain the trooper's unit number?

Based on the cars, I would say this is from about 1977.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
That seems to have been a professionally produced film. I wonder if the producer and writer came up with a bogus unit number to obscure, somewhat, the identity of the officer.

u2brent

OAMPT
Single Manned Unit #77 / Car 77 with one Trooper assigned / One Boy, one bubble light (possible term for HYW Patrol car) :unsure:
Just guesses..

VASCAR2

That movie was made in the mid 70’s. The Trooper receiving the call to go to community Hospital is driving a 1976 Dodge Monaco. During this time period ISP was transitioning away from the Federal clear dome Beacon Ray 4 bulb light to a solid red four bulb beacon manufactured by an Indiana Company, Grote. ISP started using a roof mounted bar with two Grote rotating Four sealed beam beacons and a Chrome Federal siren speaker mounted in the center of the bar. The ISP used several plain unmarked patrol cars and the Dodge Monaco had hide away headlights. On the Monaco plain cars ISP used red high beam headlights for their front emergency lights.

Look at the cars and trucks in the video and the movie was more than likely made in the 70’s. The hair styles and clothes are indicative of the 70’s. During the 70’s ISP used similar car numbers as used today. Unless the Trooper was in a specialty position he likely would not have a unit identifier as Boy 77. As mentioned the Boy 77 designator was likely just used in the movie.

DiGiTaLD

That movie was made in the mid 70’s. The Trooper receiving the call to go to community Hospital is driving a 1976 Dodge Monaco. During this time period ISP was transitioning away from the Federal clear dome Beacon Ray 4 bulb light to a solid red four bulb beacon manufactured by an Indiana Company, Grote. ISP started using a roof mounted bar with two Grote rotating Four sealed beam beacons and a Chrome Federal siren speaker mounted in the center of the bar. The ISP used several plain unmarked patrol cars and the Dodge Monaco had hide away headlights. On the Monaco plain cars ISP used red high beam headlights for their front emergency lights.

Look at the cars and trucks in the video and the movie was more than likely made in the 70’s. The hair styles and clothes are indicative of the 70’s. During the 70’s ISP used similar car numbers as used today. Unless the Trooper was in a specialty position he likely would not have a unit identifier as Boy 77. As mentioned the Boy 77 designator was likely just used in the movie.
The license plate on the Road Runner is a 1976 plate. So definitely 1976 or 1977. Seems weird that they used phony car numbers for the film, as I believe all the personnel involved were actual ISP employees.

VASCAR2

Indiana State Police had several short films produced over the years. ISP cooperated in two films featuring VASCAR and can still be found on youtube. I believe these were actual Troopers in the film and the tele-commincators looked to have been in a old ISP radio room. When I grew up in Southern Indiana in the 70’s the District PIO (Public Information Officer) had a radio number of 35-XX and nothing special unless they were a Sgt. with a lower number like 35-6.

The only Trooper I ever heard with non typical radio numbers were assigned to special duty out of the area headquarters or out of Indianapolis. It’s possible the 1B 77 number was the actual Trooper depicted radio number and he worked out of the Superintendent‘s Office or media/video section. ISP had numerous training films produced during that time period.

Here are links to the two VASCAR videos, first is from the mid 60’s and the second on VASCAR Plus from the mid 70’s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.