• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

One crimper to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Or at least be good enough?

Can anyone recommend a crimper that has dies for power pole and various coax? Bonus if it does network cable as well. I’ve looked around but am kinda confused on this.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You won't find one crimper, but you can buy the crimper frame (handles) and then the individual dies for the connectors you need.

Take a look at a company like Techni-tool Techni-Tool: Industrial Supplies, Tools, Soldering & MRO and pick out what you need.
It'll be expensive, stuff from there usually is. You may find it is cheaper to buy individual crimpers for what you need.

I have a number of different models, just worked out that way. There are some pretty good kits out there that will give you a lot of capability for not too much money.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
That’s what I’m looking for. I’ve found some that do all the RF cables (with the proper die installed). I just think it would be nice to be able to throw a different set of dies for electrical work.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is hobbyist quality, but seems to have dies for a wide range of connectors:

I have a very similar kit to that at home. Works just fine for doing RG-58 crimp connectors.
I have a higher end kit for work stuff, but I didn't want to bring that home every time I needed it. After 10 years or so, that kit is still working fine.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I have an earlier version of these that have done very well for me.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
So it seems like I’ll need a separate crimper for RF and electrical work then. I was really hoping someone made one that had dies for both.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So it seems like I’ll need a separate crimper for RF and electrical work then. I was really hoping someone made one that had dies for both.
The crimper in the link I posted has dies for crimping, according to the description, "Anderson Powerpoles, Molex connectors, Insulated and Uninsulated terminals, PLUS Coax Connectors of all types on LMR-400, 9913, RG-8, RG-213, RG-8X, RG-58, RG-316, RG-174, and more."

Crimping modular connectors (RJ-45, etc.) is a little different since the crimper has to push down the plastic "wedge" that hold the cable and push down the 4, 6, or 8 IDC contacts that push down on the individual wires.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
The crimper in the link I posted has dies for crimping, according to the description, "Anderson Powerpoles, Molex connectors, Insulated and Uninsulated terminals, PLUS Coax Connectors of all types on LMR-400, 9913, RG-8, RG-213, RG-8X, RG-58, RG-316, RG-174, and more."

Crimping modular connectors (RJ-45, etc.) is a little different since the crimper has to push down the plastic "wedge" that hold the cable and push down the 4, 6, or 8 IDC contacts that push down on the individual wires.

thanks. My bad. I originally looked at the page on phone. Now that I looked again on my iPad, it looks like exactly what I need.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I just usually end up buying the crimpers I need for whatever I am working on. Yes, I've ended up with quite a few crimpers over the years....

Andersen die sets for power poles are on ebay and amazon. They fit standard ratchet crimper holders. Die Set For Crimping 15/30/45 Amp Anderson Power Pole Type & Similar Connectors | eBay There's lots more.

Something I learned recently. I have a battery box set up with Power Pole connectors for input and output. While removing the float charger that also has Power Poles on the wires, I broke one of the PP connectors off the wire. Not having my PP crimpers handy, I tried using my old butt connector crimpers. To my surprise, it worked really well!

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
I just usually end up buying the crimpers I need for whatever I am working on. Yes, I've ended up with quite a few crimpers over the years....

Something I learned recently. I have a battery box set up with Power Pole connectors for input and output. While removing the float charger that also has Power Poles on the wires, I broke one of the PP connectors off the wire. Not having my PP crimpers handy, I tried using my old butt connector crimpers. To my surprise, it worked really well!

I’ve done that but my electrical/RF tool box is tight on space. I imagine that a butt crimper would work for the PP connectors but I like to do things right because usually when things break/come loose, it’s at the VERY wrong time. My plan is to convert all my standard accessory outlet plugs to PP for better security when I plug things in to outlets.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This Klein crimping tool (about $30) will work for Anderson Power Poles, but you have to be careful to not over-crush the barrel of the terminal:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Ditto, but in the long run it's been cheaper and easier to just get the individual crimpers. Besides, back in the day when I was buying crimpers (most of the ones in my tool bag have been there for for 20 years or more), a "UniCrimper" wasn't really available and by the time one was, I already had nearly everything I needed. All I had to buy was the PowerPole crimper.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Crimpers or dies?

I have two ratchet handle holders (crimpers?) and about a dozen different die sets that interchangeably fit in the holders.

I guess both? I’m new to this. I guess what I’m looking for is holders and compatible dies? Are they all universal?

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
As a practical matter, having a single crimper frame and needing to change dies frequently gets really old, really fast. Even if you're just an active hobbyist, multiple crimpers are the way to go (within reason, of course!).

it wouldn’t be that frequent. Maybe 1-2 times a year for each die. The reason I want one is that my tool box is full (in the most literal of sense) and I don’t have space for multiple crimpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.