One effect rebanding will have on NEW, unsold scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lets say GRE, Radio Shack and uniden all release firmware tomorrow that is 100% guaranteed to fix any rebanding issues. What happens to all those scanners that are sitting on the shelf of a dealer or internet retailer?

They are not going to open a brand-new-in-box scanner to update anything, so that will be left up to you, the buyer. I only bring that up in case someone is waiting to buy a scanner that they will not have to do anything to and have it work with rebanded systems, that might take some time.

I'm Grog and I approved this message.

xpawel15x

It will be up to the buyer to upgrade firmware or reprogram scanner using software to work on rebanded 800mhz motorola systems until scanners are made rebanded after it is all done.

Grog

Banned
Uh, yeah, I just said that.

I was pointing that out to people who did not think of that aspect and hope to buy a ready to run scanner shortly after rebanding is complete.

xpawel15x

Uh, yeah, I just said that.

I was pointing that out to people who did not think of that aspect and hope to buy a ready to run scanner shortly after rebanding is complete.

Oh okay, I didn't realize it is an announcement. Perhaps make this a sticky than ?

Grog

Banned
Oh okay, I didn't realize it is an announcement. Perhaps make this a sticky than ?

I think this says it all, and I agree 110% :lol:

A majority of the people the Stickies are intended for don't read them.

I just figured that maybe, possibly, this post will help someone that will be shopping for a new scanner in the not so near future and is just wanting something plug-and-play so they don't get completely frustrated.

If they know they will have to update the firmware, they will likely get frustrated but at least they will be forewarned :D

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
I think this says it all, and I agree 110% :lol:

I just figured that maybe, possibly, this post will help someone that will be shopping for a new scanner in the not so near future and is just wanting something plug-and-play so they don't get completely frustrated.

If they know they will have to update the firmware, they will likely get frustrated but at least they will be forewarned :D

However we all know that someone or someones will create a post asking for the information contained in here...

RESCUE4NFD

I now own 7 Uniden trunk tracker scanners,and now plan on holding off before buying any newer Uniden's until rebanding is complete,and I hear from owners that the "NEW" scanners are working on all trunking systems.I don't want to buy a scanner that in 3 months has to be updated,or sent back to the factory to be "NEW" again.That is my 2 cents.

Utah_Viper

another issue....

think of all the non-hobbyists that will be buying older scanners thinking they will work in their city when they wont after rebanding.

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
another issue....

think of all the non-hobbyists that will be buying older scanners thinking they will work in their city when they wont after rebanding.
Better yet, think of all of the deals to be had!

"um .. this thing does not work."

"Really? That's a shame. I'll give ya five bucks for it."

:D

Grog

Banned
Narrowband slots, as you might know, is part of rebanding, but not inclusive of the word 'rebanding' itself.

I would usually not see people referring to the 800mhz mess as narrowbanding since there is more to it then that.

While the 150-512 MHz portion will just have the more to either 12.5 kHz bandwidth or to a technology that provides one voice channel per 12.5 kHz or operates at a data rate 4800 bps per 6.25 kHz of bandwidth. That is what many of us would think of when someone talks about rebanding.

P.S. Your opinion does matter since you only list coordinates :cool:

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
Ok, so rebanding is just the FCC reorgnizing the users already on 800. Am I right?

Well technically it is the 800 MHz Reconfiguration Transition Administrator http://www.800ta.org/ that is trying to get things straightened out, but yeah, pretty much.

A local small public safety system close to me has the new frequencies, just waiting to see when they get things underway. That system serves a city of about 20k people, with police and fire traffic as well as some public works so it should be somewhat simple compared to some of these statewide systems being worked on.

It will be a shame if I am not able to use my pro97/2055 for trunking, they really are such great scanners. There are a couple 900mhz systems I could always listen to, but those would likely put me to sleep (private business trunked systems).

The 97/2055 are really fantastic conventional scanners, so they will be used for many years to come. It also means I am almost guaranteed to get a GRE when the time comes to step up to a high dollar digital scanner.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Am I missing something here...why wait for a rebanded scanner? The five year old GRE Pro-96 is reband capable now and has been from the beginning. The 9 month old GRE 500 is also capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.