One of the radial rods snapped off! / 20-176 Radio Shack antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
20-176 antenna

long story short, i bought a 50 foot cable yesterday. originally had just a 12 foot. as i was feeding one end of cable through wall i pulled too much of it and there went the antenna. antenna is mounted on some conduit using a sprinkler tripod (yeah,nice...)

Here comes the QUESTION....

How come it does not seem to be making a difference?

More cable and adapter ?'s to come shortly

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you check your local hardware store they should have various diameters of stainless steel solid rod that could be threaded with a tap and die set. that's how I replaced the lightweight flimsy hollow tubing that was original with the antenna.
N9ZAS

If you check your local hardware store they should have various diameters of stainless steel solid rod that could be threaded with a tap and die set. that's how I replaced the lightweight flimsy hollow tubing that was original with the antenna.
N9ZAS

makes sense. good idea. thanks!

dwlyons

Is the damaged element hollow? If it is, you might be able to repair it with a wooden dowel, matching the id of the tubing, inserted in the broken sections, once they have been reshaped as close as possible, sliding the broke ends together as closely as possible. Once that is obtained, using a small diameter drill bit, and matching screws, drill each side of the fracture, insert the screws along with a small piece of stranded wire and electrically reconnect the 2 pieces. Cheap, easy, and quick.

gewecke

Banned
My 1st. version of discone that r/s marketed had the hollow aluminum elements. I thought about dowel or injecting foam,but the threaded end on those are only crimped and I don't think the crimped threads would hold the added weight. Just fyi.
N9ZAS

kb2vxa

Banned
"How come it does not seem to be making a difference?"
For the same reason if you cut off an octopus' tentacle it can still function with seven. The difference is the antenna won't grow a new element but no matter, it's working, just leave it alone.

SCPD

QRT
lacountyscanner I have 20176 antenna I lost or misplaced a part for the antenna, its the threaded part that receives the antenna wire when its assembled I tried the shack looking for the part but no luck do you know anyone or any place I could get that part tnx Bob

lacountyscanner I have 20176 antenna I lost or misplaced a part for the antenna, its the threaded part that receives the antenna wire when its assembled I tried the shack looking for the part but no luck do you know anyone or any place I could get that part tnx Bob

well its made by Antennacraft ST2 Scanner Antenna

I personally think radio shack is a piece of **** company. it's just that radio shack is the only kind of store that sells certain things. so for me its a convenience. as far as parts and/or fixing/repairing this antenna. whats wrong with all of you? wanting to fill it with foam and do this and do that. solder, cut, crimp. bite, saw, grind, lathe.....It's $26.00

SCPD

QRT
lacountyscanner tnx for info, I take that scanner antenna with me when I travel, it very portable ,taking it apart and setup in NC obx so I pickup mucho milcoms, ..err...merry Christmas regards Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.