• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

One or the other, advantages/disadvantages, XTS5000/51SL ES

Status
Not open for further replies.

evfd1625

Given all parameters, talk groups, etc are configured the same between both radios used legitimately on a P25 P1 system 7/800 can anyone list the advantages to using one radio over the other and which you'd prefer and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evfd1625

The Motorola allows use of a PSM without removing the antenna.
Can use Commander microphones with channel and volume control.
The priority channel alert only beeps once during a scan hold.
The channel knob is backlit.
Same battery seems to last longer on the Motorola than on the EFJ.
Can be used in an XTVA.
The Motorola also allows Impres battery info to be displayed.
The EFJ allows more than 16 channels in a scan list.
The receive indicator lights on trunking systems.
The screen backlight is much easier to read.
The EFJ uses AMBE2 vocoder as opposed to IMBE so the audio should be better.
It has a built in one key DES encryption module.
Has conventional RSSI.
Anyone have any other input?

PACNWDude

For Motorola, parts are available and abundant, and I have had relativly good dealing with Motorola support.

EF Johnson has less common components and parts, and being part of the JVC/Kenwood/Zetron group, I have had many issues with Kenwood and Zetron support. Response is always, upgrade software, pay for additional hardware and licenses, yet these solutions often do not work.

I will stick with XTS5000 radios, as they work, I can get parts easily and do not have to listen to support personnel that have no clue. Online forums have a lot more information as well, since the XTS5000 radios have been used by many in public safety, fire departments, military units and others.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I ran XTS-2500's and EF Johnson 5100's side by side. I know the 5100s are a bit different than the 51SL's, but theres enough similarities.

I'm not a "Motorola fan boy", so I'm not hung up on the brand name.

We had some issues with the 5100's that hopefully were fixed in the 51's, maybe not…
The battery contacts were problematic. We had some issues with volume controls getting really loose.
Other than that, performance was the same between the two.

EF Johnson was a lot easier to deal with than Motorola, in my opinion.

I've held some of the latest EF Johnson radios, and they seemed to have fixed the issues we saw with the 5100s.

Price was the big thing for us. Moving away from Motorola saved us a ton of money. If that savings was enough to offset the minor annoyances, I'm not 100% convinced.
Still, there are those that will still only accept a Motorola product as the "only real radio" out there.

evfd1625

I'll admit the V1-V4 EFJ 51xx radios were quite junky. The V6 51 series seems very well built. They both seem to be sturdy radios. The Motorola is pretty modular, however both radios have a significant amount of electronics in the casing aside from the main board. One of the things I noticed about the EF Johnson is where the processor is gets warm to the touch.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The 51xx's use a XTS3000 UCM.
The 51xx's are capable of user selectable NAC.

I paid $50 for a surplus box of 5100's (40 5100s, 3 51SLs). I have noticed, battery backwards compatibility is better with the 51SL than it is the 5100 (since I don't own an EFJ battery).

Status
Not open for further replies.