• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

One portable mobile radio set up, multiple vehicles?

wrum285

Perhaps an unusual question, but would there be any issues using a portable mobile setup between multiple vehicles?

My idea is to use a setup like Midland has with the MXT500 and ammo can. It'd use a battery and charger that could be plugged in to a power source in the vehicle which would charge the battery while using, or use only on battery. The antenna would be permanently installed in each vehicle using an NMO style mount.

Obviously the best way would be to install a dedicated radio in each vehicle, but I am the only one using the radios and the vehicles....

Would there be any grounding issues with the antenna installation or power to the battery charger?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would there be any grounding issues with the antenna installation or power to the battery charger?

If the NMO mount is permanently installed, you should be good. Cigarette lighter plugs are not always a reliable connection, but if you are just using that to charge the battery, you might be OK. I'd might expect to get some noise if you are using any sort of low end charge controller, or if the power source for the ciggy lighter plug is noisy.

There was a company that was selling setups like this a few years ago. They were overpriced, but I can't recall the brand name.

wrum285

Check post #103 here, it shows a mobile radio attached to a "grab and go" board making it easy to move between vehicles or a base. You could even mount a small power supply to the board. XG-100M and features

That's almost exactly like what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the lead on the post! Great ideas!

If the NMO mount is permanently installed, you should be good. Cigarette lighter plugs are not always a reliable connection, but if you are just using that to charge the battery, you might be OK. I'd might expect to get some noise if you are using any sort of low end charge controller, or if the power source for the ciggy lighter plug is noisy.

There was a company that was selling setups like this a few years ago. They were overpriced, but I can't recall the brand name.

I may have to experiment a bit to see if there is any noise. I was hoping the charger would act like a filter, or like a UPS, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the technical info mmckenna!

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
That's almost exactly like what I'm trying to do. Thanks for the lead on the post! Great ideas!

I may have to experiment a bit to see if there is any noise. I was hoping the charger would act like a filter, or like a UPS, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the technical info mmckenna!
Something like this https://www.bobscb.com/PDGImages/V043/ARA-CB536.png a few years ago they were popular with CBs to remove it quickly from a vehicle, to prevent theft. I don't know about this one, but everything was a slip fitting (it would even connect the antenna without any issue).

Thanks
Joel

prcguy

Something like this https://www.bobscb.com/PDGImages/V043/ARA-CB536.png a few years ago they were popular with CBs to remove it quickly from a vehicle, to prevent theft. I don't know about this one, but everything was a slip fitting (it would even connect the antenna without any issue).

Thanks
Joel
I probably installed a few hundred of those in the 1970s but cars had huge steel dashes back then to mount them under. I would not trust the sliding power connections for anything more than about 10A and the sliding antenna connection would not be good at VHF or above.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Found them, it was actually Midland selling them, but I think there are others making similar packages.
And, still, W-A-Y overpriced for what it is, especially considering they do NOT include the radio:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I probably installed a few hundred of those in the 1970s but cars had huge steel dashes back then to mount them under. I would not trust the sliding power connections for anything more than about 10A and the sliding antenna connection would not be good at VHF or above.
I agree with the frequency issues... a BNC connector with the lugs filed off might work. :)

I think MFJ or Maha made a "docking booster" for walkie talkies that did something similer.

In the Air Force, with Motorola sabers, being able to slide a radio into whatever truck you were in, flip a connector switch, and get a mic, speaker, and power was a real convienience.

Thanks
Joel