• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

One Scanner, One GMRS Radio, Same Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

enidpd804

I have a Tram 1410 I just put in for my scanner. For kicks, I unplugged the antenna and hooked it up to my Wouxun 850G. Wow. We got some great distance and I want to use a switch between the two. I bought an Opek CX-201 splitter but I'm not sure it's the right thing. When I switch away from the scanner, the signal gets poor but it's still there. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is the right equipment to keep my radio from frying the scanner.

RFI-EMI-GUY

That will work. Now you have to worry about frying your Wouxun if you forget to make the switch before TX.

kb4mdz

Nope, not the right thing if you want your scanner to still receive after you transmit with the '850. There are devices out there that will let you do this, but they are way out of price for hobby use like this.

Do whatever you can to either a) make a fool-proof switch between each radio so that you can't TX into either the scanner or to complete open, or b) do what it takes to put up a 2nd antenna, especially located at least 2 or 3 feet away from whichever is the one for the transmitter.

enidpd804

Thanks for the response.

Nope, not the right thing if you want your scanner to still receive after you transmit with the '850. There are devices out there that will let you do this, but they are way out of price for hobby use like this.

Do you mean it will fry or I can't do both at the same time?

[/QUOTE]

Do whatever you can to either a) make a fool-proof switch between each radio so that you can't TX into either the scanner or to complete open, or b) do what it takes to put up a 2nd antenna, especially located at least 2 or 3 feet away from whichever is the one for the transmitter.
[/QUOTE]

I was considering using my old scanner antenna a few feet below the 1410 and that's still an option. Can you expound on the, "fool-proof" switch thought?

kb4mdz

Thanks for the response.

Do you mean it will fry or I can't do both at the same time?

[/QUOTE]

I was considering using my old scanner antenna a few feet below the 1410 and that's still an option. Can you expound on the, "fool-proof" switch thought?
[/QUOTE]

You can LISTEN to both at the same time, no problem. All day, every day, 24/7/365.

Just don't transmit with the '850 when both radios are on the splitter; that will gloriously blow up the input section of the scanner.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was once decided on this path of signal for several radios and decided against it. Much easier (and cheaper) to erect 2 antennas or several scanners on one antenna and your Wouxon on its own antenna and away from the scanners. Just works best for me with my AnyTone 878UV Plus and also no room for error and transmitting into your scanners. I split my rooftop Cushcraft AR-270B between my 746 Pro and a pigtail over to my 878. Works great.

enidpd804

All right, guys. I'll abort the switch plan and just use another antenna. Back to Antenna Farm I go. Thanks much the info.

Reactions: wtp

Ravenkeeper

I have a Tram 1410 I just put in for my scanner. For kicks, I unplugged the antenna and hooked it up to my Wouxun 850G. Wow. We got some great distance and I want to use a switch between the two. I bought an Opek CX-201 splitter but I'm not sure it's the right thing. When I switch away from the scanner, the signal gets poor but it's still there. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is the right equipment to keep my radio from frying the scanner.
Just a thought...........

Attachments

• CB-antenna-splitter-AM_FM_CB_1.jpg
    CB-antenna-splitter-AM_FM_CB_1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 26

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Never have a transmitter and a receiver connected to the same antenna. It's a recipe for trouble, even with a switch. If you forget to flip the switch, you can damage the transmitter if you key up while not connected to the antenna. And there's the hassle of only being able to use one radio at a time.

A discone is great for scanning because of its bandwidth, but there are other antenna options that are much better for transmitting on a relatively narrow range of frequencies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought...........
I'd avoid the CB splitter. Those work because the radio band is very narrow and easy to isolate. Even if you could get something that isolates GMRS, it would have to deny a lot of UHF range to the scanner in order to protect it.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

enidpd804

I ran another cable and antenna. It's not worth the risk. I do have two switches in case anybody wants one. On the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.